Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
We moved into our house in July of 2009 and once we hit winter we were unprepared for the heating costs associated with having propane heat. The large amount of snow we got last year associated with were we live (bad roads to get here) we were without propane twice last year. I then realized how inefficient our fireplace was. Then I had to fill up the propane tank almost every month costing us $700+ a month in heating costs. Well I found this site and while I have not been overly active posting, I have learned so much and we finally got our new stove up and running today. I am literally sweating as I run it :)

So thanks to all who post and those that run the site - it has been extremely helpful for someone like myself. I am sure my new stove will be paid for by spring! :)

Did you end up getting the Quadra-Fire stove? Put your stove model in your signature line so folks know what you are burning in.

Thanks

Just bought a Quadra-Fire 4100i...would like your thoughts on a block off plate for a full masonry fireplace?? Installation is Nov.9 Since I live in St. Louis, MO do I really need a block off plate. What do you guys think?

mine went into a ZC fireplace and with the insulation and flue pipe it was so tight I figured there wasn't much air that was going to escape there and did not put a block off plate on. From what I have read a block off plate seems like a good idea in most cases. It can't hurt - right?

ifunk, that was a terrible way to find out how inefficient the fireplace was but now you will be better set up to meet the no-propane days.

Block off plates serve two purposes.

One, is the blockage of air and possibly improved upon by adding insulation above the block off.

The other is safety. If a fire were to occur, you have another "firewall" that it needs to get through to enter the home.

Required? No! Suggested? Yes. There is no downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.