Thanksgiving Travel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local forecast does not jive with that and I hope it stays that way as that is ugly.

oldspark said:
Our local forecast does not jive with that and I hope it stays that way as that is ugly.
+1 forecast says dry here and that's been the norm sense August!

We were planning on driving down to PA to the in-laws for Thanksgiving, but are now re-thinking that. Maybe to southern MI to my relatives, or maybe stay in the UP and watch the fire in the stove. GET READY!

Weather is a crap shoot.. Predicting it and trying to plan around it....So who knows.. Good luck and safe travels for Thanksgiving all..

And a 7 day forecast is a real crapshoot. I have two meterologist friends, ones with the NWS, ones a local TV weather guy.
They both concur, that they can be around 90% accurate on a 24 hour forecast, but for each 24 hour period looking ahead, the accuracy
goes down by 10% or so.

So looking ahead 7 days, they're making an educated guess.

Adkjake said:
And a 7 day forecast is a real crapshoot. I have two meterologist friends, ones with the NWS, ones a local TV weather guy.
They both concur, that they can be around 90% accurate on a 24 hour forecast, but for each 24 hour period looking ahead, the accuracy
goes down by 10% or so.

So looking ahead 7 days, they're making an educated guess.

Adkjake, That's good info. It explains why anything after tomorrow is quite often not just wrong, but WAY wrong. :lol: I'm just glad they're able to do as much as they do with the forecasts.
zap, thanks for that. I use Forecastfox in Firefox, and that takes me to Accuweather.com for all my info. Usually pretty close for the first day or so.

We're not worried a bit. What's a few wet roads to us?

Jay says he's been dry since August. It's been a whole lot longer than that for us. I dare say it is as dry now as I've ever seen for this area. We have a small water hole for the deer. It has some leaves in the bottom and no water. I've never seen this happen before. Our neighbor has a large pond and that thing is also way, way low. So no doubt we will hit a very wet period before too long. Will it be rain, or snow, or ice? Maybe stay dry until Spring and then difficult to get crops in. We'll wait and see.

Backwoods Savage said:
We're not worried a bit. What's a few wet roads to us?

Jay says he's been dry since August. It's been a whole lot longer than that for us. I dare say it is as dry now as I've ever seen for this area. We have a small water hole for the deer. It has some leaves in the bottom and no water. I've never seen this happen before. Our neighbor has a large pond and that thing is also way, way low. So no doubt we will hit a very wet period before too long. Will it be rain, or snow, or ice? Maybe stay dry until Spring and then difficult to get crops in. We'll wait and see.

Yes and bet it will be cold enough to be all snow! lol

I wish that cold front would speed up. Last year we had to open the windows on Thanksgiving day to cool off the kitchen. I'd rather it was cold enough to fire up the stove...

No worries on traveling for me . . . my only plans are to travel to the family land to cut up some wood on that day . . . I may grace my cousin's house with my presence for some food . . . but that's just a possibility.

"Mom, dad (kids/grandma etc.) - sorry I can't come visit your oil-heated 55-degree house this Thanksgiving, but the roads will be bad so I'll be stuck in my 75-degree house with the woodstove and a six-pack. But I'll really be miserable and wishing I was there..." ;)

round here "they" are calling for partly to mostly something, with a chance of "seasonable" whatever. Sunrise about 6ish, sunset about 4ish. Safe travel to all, even those not traveling. My mom always suggested bring some extra clean underwear....so I will too.

Thanksgiving always reminds me of the time we were hunting in the north country. We had a good amount of snow but it warmed one day to melt just a little. The following morning we did not get up early to hunt; just played lazy. Around 10:00 am we were walking down a two-track when this fellow stopped with a pickup. He knew where we were camped and asked us if we had heard the forecast. We had not. The forecast was for 18-24" of snow the next day! We were almost 2 miles off the road so we needed to get out. The temperature was falling fast and the wind started blowing fairly well. We packed up and headed out. By the time we had drove 30 miles the wind had really picked up and at Manistique, MI the wind was steady at 45 and gusting to 60. Needless to say, Lake Michigan was a bit riled up.

Fast forward to the Mackinaw Bridge. I'd never seen such a sight. When we got there the backup was about 3 miles. It just got worse. We could see the traffic was moving across the bridge but very slowly. After many hours in line (nowhere else to go) we finally got almost to the bridge only to be flagged off. We were pulling a pop-up camper and they would not let anyone cross pulling a trailer. The man said they had just clocked the wind speed at a top 85 mph. The noise at the bridge was amazing. Then it started snowing. Things got worse. We ended up in an accident because we knew a place we could go and be out of the wind and set up the camper. Some guy lost his car and took our camper right off our car. Barely missed the car. What a nightmare that night was. The wind was blowing so hard the power lines were slapping together and it looked like lightning. You could hardly hear when outside and the temperature just got colder and the snow got harder. Not good memories from that trip.

It can be tough to forecast the weather just a couple hours away in New England some times, but trends are trends and they're not always that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.