That doesn't belong in my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
the weathers been fairly warm around here this past week so I has let the stove go out. Well tonight I figured I would light her back up, wen I went down in the basement the door glass was covered with ash in a strange patter. When I got close to the stove I could see a ball of fur curled up front near the dog house. Some how during the week a squirrel managed to get in the chimmney and in to the stove past the bypass damper.

Now I'm an animal lover but this little $&@&&$ guy chews the door gasket trying to get out of the stove!! It's still there in contact but chewed pretty good. Do you guys think it's ok for now till I can get a new gasket and replace it?
image_zpsqwdyv8xc.jpe image_zps5w5hi95g.jpe image_zpsnurjrisr.jpe

That does look like enough to leak a bit of air in that corner. I would try it out with a partial load and see how it goes.

Hmm. You would think the cat would have scared him off.

That does look like it would hopelessly leak.

I would definitely not start with a whole load to try it.......LOL I would think that will leak somewhat.

I would just try a small fire like the others have said. What is the earliest you can get it replaced, and do you have a chimney cap? Need some way to keep the critters out of the chimney and stove.

What became of the squirrel?

I would just try a small fire like the others have said. What is the earliest you can get it replaced, and do you have a chimney cap? Need some way to keep the critters out of the chimney and stove.

We do have a chimney cap that's what baffled me as to him getting in there. Just need to get a gasket then I can change it.

What became of the squirrel?
He was actually curled up dead in the stove when I found him. I'm guessing suffocation?

I did a partial burn. The other night and it seems ok. Maybe burned a little faster then normal. I think I'm just going to replace it for the ease of mind. Do I need to go right to my dealer and get a lopi specific gasket Or can I order this 7/8 gasket off amazon or pick it up at my local hardwear store. http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Grapho-Glas-Woodstove-Gasket-Rope/dp/B009ECRCUG

He was actually curled up dead in the stove when I found him. I'm guessing suffocation?

If it was dead (it may only have been in torpor). But if it was dead, then death was probably due to either starvation or hypothermia. Squirrels have a high metabolic rate. If not in torpor they need to eat and stay warm to survive, and being unable to do those, even over a few days, may mean curtains. And there were probably neither food nor warmth options in the ash in your stove (and chewing on and probably ingesting fiberglass probably did not help). RIP.

We do have a chimney cap that's what baffled me as to him getting in there. Just need to get a gasket then I can change it.

I did a partial burn. The other night and it seems ok. Maybe burned a little faster then normal. I think I'm just going to replace it for the ease of mind. Do I need to go right to my dealer and get a lopi specific gasket Or can I order this 7/8 gasket off amazon or pick it up at my local hardwear store. http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Grapho-Glas-Woodstove-Gasket-Rope/dp/B009ECRCUG
Lopi has their own specific gasket. I've used others in a pinch. If you have a dealer nearby I'd get Lopi gasket.

Reactions: begreen
Went to the dealer Tuesday after work and picked up some gasket. Got it all replaced no problems. Definitely was a good call there was only one layer of gasket left where he had chewed. Way worse then I had thought when I looked at it.

Went to the dealer Tuesday after work and picked up some gasket. Got it all replaced no problems. Definitely was a good call there was only one layer of gasket left where he had chewed. Way worse then I had thought when I looked at it.
Did you get the OEM gasket or what ever the dealer had on the role. I replaced mine with the stuff my dealer had on the role and don't like it as well as what came with the stove. Next time I'm going to get her to order the OEM from Lopi

That looks like the stuff she gave me only the stud she gave me is more black then the stuff in the picture. Seems to have a nice tight fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.