That first burn of the year stink....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
...what is it? Just the summers worth of dust etc, burning off?
Anyway, this could be a long winter. Lit the stoves today, and it's still summer on paper......

It is awesome over here. Upper 60s to low 70s during the day and mid 50s at night. If I could get 12 months of this it would be perfect.

I have to agree with you Browning; I was outside todaysplitting wood with my NEW Fiskars X27 and I didnt even break a sweat! Kind of refreshing... Also, the cooler air means Striper season is on its way!

tbuff said:
I have to agree with you Browning; I was outside todaysplitting wood with my NEW Fiskars X27 and I didnt even break a sweat! Kind of refreshing... Also, the cooler air means Striper season is on its way!

Wait, stripper season?! Hot damn, where did I leave my stack of singles?

tbuff said:
Hahahaha, Thats great... Stripers (Striped Bass)

BrowningBAR leaves disappointed with crumpled singles clutched in his hand...

What do they migrate back through?The mackerel have been gilling here for 2 weeks.We have some stripers in a brackish saltwater flooded pond that stay yr round.They could leave with the tide but refuse.Been there since small.40 something inches some of them.

They typically look for the cooler water of fall and early spring off the NJ coast, still a little to warm here. Last March 28-40" were running everywhere along the beach, so fresh clams and some patience on the surf could land you a nice dinner. I went out last night and landed about 6 Blues (8-12lb range) No luck with anything else. My wife's Grandparents live near Damascata(sp) Maine, and whenever we go up, we love to Mackeral fish and smoke those badboys! Sorry a little off topic here. :coolsmile:

I think the smell is the dust and moisture that gets in the stove over the summer. If the stove is in a moist part of the house like the basement it can be stronger. I still have yet to fire up. I'm trying to hold out till October 1rst. I do not know why but I guess it will be that much better to feel warm.

tbuff said:

Great...now you have me looking at another Fiskars toy! :lol:

tbuff said:
Get one Pagey; you will not be disappointed! :cheese:

Oh, it's already bookmarked at Amazon. Just gotta provision the funds, now.

It's quite a toy but i will tell you 1 thing,if it as much as touches your legs etc,it will cut fairly easy.Not like a dull old splitting maul.Buy 1 and be careful, it splits wood. %-P

Razor sharp for sure. Have any experience with the Fiskars Axe Sharpener?

I've got the sharpener. It works, but I'm not overly impressed with it. I mean it does the job, but I wouldn't go to jail for it or anything. I use it on my Fiskars Super Splitter a few times throughout the season.

I'm sure it would be nice to have but i'd be happy if mine were dulled a little.lol While chopping a piece apart i got a piece of forearm with it.It's sharp enough for now.I got a piece of something that rolled the top of the blade so i'll need a sharpener next season.This splitter is nice but for some of the birch that is 14" across it i needed the splitting maul and wedge.Common sense for a piece that size i guess.The only time i mess up with this ax is sometimes i swing a little easier than i should assuming it's all i need.It's my fault though.I'm not downing this ax by no means,i just have to get used to it.IT IS NIIIICEEE!!

I am going to get the sharpener for sure, only because I want to keep that baby sharp! I also agree with Bub in that, some pieces still need the old splitting maul... It did take me tooooo long to realize that spending a few more bucks on certain splitting tools (i.e. axe, maul, chainsaw) reallymakes the job a heck of alot easier. Any reccomendations on splitting wedges?

I have a wedge that is sort of round or 4 sided with a little bit of a spiral turn.It sucks.I have gotten it half way into wood and had it shoot right into the air.I say get 2 regular wedges and don't expect too much out of this darned thing.I had this wedge into a piece of birch which was a crotch.I got all but the last inch in and beat this thing 20 times and it was done.It wasn't going any further.I was using a splitting maul to pound this in,not a small ax.Had to cut the woould vertically once to get it out.Now i do know you can bury wedges but this wasn't big punky wet pine.Don't think it would be a good buy.MY OPINION.

Status
Not open for further replies.