That got hot fast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
Loaded the osburn 2400 and was watching a movie. Asked son what's temp he said 500
I told to turn down primary air at 600 I turned air completely off, fan on high. Right now hitting temps of 800. This stove can do some high temps but damn that came on in 30 min cold to 800.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414192267.053774.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's counterintuitive but when you want to cool the stove open the air up, don't close it down. It allows much more cooler air into the firebox and flushes out the super heated air in the stove. Also, if it's a CAT stove open the bypass.

It's counterintuitive but when you want to cool the stove open the air up, don't close it down. It allows much more cooler air into the firebox and flushes out the super heated air in the stove. Also, if it's a CAT stove open the bypass.
I watched it. It did not go up much past that. I opened door and let house air cool stove. Talk about a fast house warm up

When my Quad really takes off I open the doors. Fill the box with cool air for close to a minute then shut it down. It pretty much sets it on cruise control.

Stories like these are why I am babying the new ideal steel. Don't want any runaway. The wife thinks I am crazy that I have to sit with it until I know the temps are done climbing, but this story is why I feel the need.

There is a fresh charge of wood in there that is being heated up too rapidly. This is wasteful, but not a runaway fire. The stove is doing what it is designed to do. It's burning off excess wood gas caused by very rapid heating of the wood. Once that wood gas is burned up the stove will settle down.

Next time try to start turning down the air around 400F stove top temp. Turn it down until the fire just starts to get lazy and wait then until the flames regain strength. Then turn it down again until the flames get lazy. Repeat and continue until either the air control is closed all the way or the fire begins to smolder. Also, with each fire, burn down the coal bed sufficiently. Before reloading let the stove get down to about 250F. Reload with larger splits for a slower takeoff and pack the firebox well.

+1

I know my Quad okay enough. Had a few dances with her. I shut mine down in increments until my air is shut completely off. If I don't start shutting it down at 450ish, it'll get into mid to high 700s. Fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.