That nasty redoak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Free wood is free wood and aside from the bark falling off and a few chunks being a tad punky on the sapwood the condition of the red oak was like it was cut down just a few months ago.
Red Oak is Red Oak and I've split a bunch of it in my lifetime....but this stuff sat in log form in the woods for well over 2 years and let me describe it (sopping wet stank wood)
The trunks were straight and I made easy blocks with the splitter, it's up back in full sun and it will stay there until it becomes stove chow sometime in early 2011.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• oakrack.jpg
    oakrack.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 712
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 698
  • redoak_2009.jpg
    redoak_2009.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 742
I c/s/s up some red oak three weeks ago that I measured around 30% MC. I was surprised to see this past weekend that 90% of the splits already had major end checking ad MC was down almost 10%

Have to agree with the stank.

Was at the "Bean" last month on my motorcycle, what a gorgeous area you are in!

Good job Butcher .... this site is like a tv show I tune in every week to see who's doing what I have been doing allot collecting in the last couple of weeks myself and as soon as I learn how to post the pics I will.... You always have some solid pics .. and good finds .......... Burn on.

Werm said:
I was surprised to see this past weekend that 90% of the splits already had major end checking ad MC was down almost 10%
I'm guessing you only checked MC on the outside. Heavy checking on the ends is indicative of moisture on the inside. As wood dries it shrinks. The ends tend to check cuz they dry faster than the middle. As the middle dries, the checks become less pronounced.

Great score! I have 2.5 cords of Red Oak rounds waiting to be split but I have to get through all the knotty twisted 24" Burr Oak rounds first. Looking forward to the straight grain Red.

I just stacked a little more than a 1/2 cord red oak this afternoon that I split back in May. I had it is a heaphausen on the ground since then. I was surprised that the pieces on the bottom were starting to break down ( rot ) already. I know it has been wet here all spring/summer/fall and it was in the shade but man was that fast. I know pics, maybe tomorrow.

Red oak is great wood to burn, easy to split, slow to season Great Score.

LLigetfa said:
Werm said:
I was surprised to see this past weekend that 90% of the splits already had major end checking ad MC was down almost 10%
I'm guessing you only checked MC on the outside. Heavy checking on the ends is indicative of moisture on the inside. As wood dries it shrinks. The ends tend to check cuz they dry faster than the middle. As the middle dries, the checks become less pronounced.

The wood was checked (MC) after a re-splitting, measuring the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.