That Shagbark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Young newphew WoodBucther JR. learns how a round of knotted shagbark splits.
As he was keeping up with me, I mixed in a few chunks of really light old helmlock and fooled him a couple times.
We were a couple of damp tired rats at the end of the day.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• wb_2009_001.jpg
    wb_2009_001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 626
The tops of my stacks are lined with knotted up sharkbark splits that don't stack well in the stacks so I stack them last on top. I'll burn them in the outside pit during the summer/fall fires.

thats some tuff splitts there!

I love burning hickory. I am assuming by "shagbark" you are talking about hickory and not just the nasty split???

Good for you to get the next generation of wood burners started so young. My 5 year old has started to help by coming along on jobs as well as stacking wood. I can't wait until she can start to run a trim saw or handle a maul.

Jags said:
I love burning hickory. I am assuming by "shagbark" you are talking about hickory and not just the nasty split???

Yep.......Over the last few years I've burned a bunch of hickory including shagbark/pignut which has spoiled me.
In June 2007 we got an entire grapple load of both.....it was pure sweetness.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Jags said:

Yep.......Over the last few years I've burned a bunch of hickory including shagbark/pignut which has spoiled me.
In June 2007 we got an entire grapple load of both.....it was pure sweetness.

WoodButcher

Shhhh...don't tell anybody, but I would take a load of hickory over white oak any day. Don't let on, or they'll all be doing it. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.