That time of year.....nice to be back !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
Well, if this summer "here in Michigan" is any indication of this up coming winter, feels like we are in for a good one! and just for your FYI, I had two stacks of hard wood oak,hickory etc One being in a HH stack, and the other conventional stack. And the HH stack is definitely drier ! Ok so the solid red oak pile did get a little more shade, but right next to HH. I like the HH myself. They work well. And it's a nice conversation piece.... This will be second full year of burning and I feel very confident in doing so. Thanks guy's for all your help and advice.

Second year of burning over here, also. I'm excited to see what two stoves will do.

I am hoping for a mild winter to go with our mild (very mild and really wet) summer. Having a dead furnace for a month during the coldest period of winter kind of burnt me out on cold weather for a bit. The stove was a literal life saver, but my layout does not allow one stove to heat the whole house (in fact I will need three stoves to achieve that).

Welcome back folks. Starting to get lively here again.

Wood wacker, I wouldn't draw conclusions on that HH just yet. If the conventional stack is all red oak and also got more shade, I definitely would expect it to have more moisture. I also would not try to burn that red oak this coming winter because red oak is probably the slowest drying wood there is. It normally takes a minimum of 2 years to get that stuff in good shape to burn.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with the HH and some folks do like them. I just happen to prefer the conventional stacking because I can stack it quicker. I also have plenty of time for the wood to dry as we have a 7 year supply on hand.

BeGreen said:

I've noticed this as well . . . folks are returning and new folks are finding us . . . getting to be quite a chore to keep up on all the new posts. ;) :)

BeGreen said:
Really is funny how much it has picked up the last 2 weeks or so. That little chill in the air draws us all right back here!

Status
Not open for further replies.