THAT was an inspection???!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendainNJ

Nov 6, 2010
NW NJ
Well, we had our scheduled inspection today. The man walked in, looked at the stove, asked if we had "fired it up yet" then handed me the already-signed approval slip. He literally did not go closer than 4 feet to the stove! Honestly, we could have just had the thing sitting there not hooked up & it wouldn't have made a difference.

So, $111 for a very expensive piece of paper! :eek:hh:

Pretty much how mine went 4 years ago. He asked a couple of questions about the stove, went outside looked at the top of the chimney from the ground, asked what the extra pipe was for, OAK, and singed the paper. Mine only cost around $11.

Attachments

• Front Porch 2010 192 (Large) (2).jpg
    Front Porch 2010 192 (Large) (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 293
Mine was $25.

Guy came in and asked if I followed MFG instructions. I did.
Asked about vent pipe height over roof. (2 in 10 rule)
Looked at clearance to combustibles (visual only no measuring)
Said it looks good. Signed my Fire Inspection sheet.

Spent next 1/2 hour talking about how the stove worked and where he could get one.

---Nailer---

He never looked at anything outside, nor behind the stove. What's so aggravating is that we purchased this stove over another since he said he wouldnt' pass the other (Quad) so close to a window. I love this stove, but somehow, it just would have been a little more gratifying for him to see that everything was installed correctly before approving it. I guess they have more important things to inspect than something that can burn our house down! :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.