Thats a lot of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
Getting ready for the heating season I went to clean the chimney. Being very tall I was having trouble getting the brush all the way to the bottom so I was going to tie a rope to the loop on the brush and pull it down from below.
When I went to open the door to the ash dump/cleanout I found ash piled up against the door. I don't remember it being that full last time I opened it. Year or two ago?

So I got down on my hands and knees to shovel it out and removed 3 office size trash cans of wet ash!!! (I don't have a cap)
I don't think I've ever shoveled out the ash dump before and certainly not all the way to the back of the chamber. The house is 26 years old and I switched from oil to wood in '08. This is my fifth season. I've been running the brush through the chimney once or twice a year since I started burning wood.

Is this normal?

I pulled a good bit of fly ash out of my cleanout this past spring. I did put a cap on the top of my chimney, but that didnt seem to matter. I ended up using a lot of cardboard as firestarter this past year, and I think thats where the majority of it came from. Im going to try and avoid using that if I can this year and see how much of a difference it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.