That's why the law sez sell it by the cord...!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NA3N said:
Ya, I've been under the impression that a cord is a tightly stacked configuration amounting to 4' high, 4' deep and 8' wide, or the equivalent. Smallish splits are to be included to fill up some of the empty space, I'm thinking.

Nancy

Nah. IAW KISS, 128 cu.ft. simply stated, stacked, not thrown. Never seen a 4'x4'x8' stack, probably never will- matters not.

Some specs call for 4' long pieces (suitable for Adirondack fireplaces?) but that would imply more air-space with log irregularities.

Of course, a cord of green wood will shrink quite a bit on drying, especially oak, so then what?

This is why some firewood sellers are selling by weight. Can't argue with that--unless you want to question the accuracy of their scales :)

sullystull said:
This is why some firewood sellers are selling by weight. Can't argue with that--unless you want to question the accuracy of their scales :)

Selling by wieght is a problem. Green wood weighs more and thus, you get less than if it were truely seasoned wood. The only way to sell wood here in PA is by the cord, or the fraction there of.

I knew of a guy who had unsplit stove length (or so) pieces chucked into a dumpster and he was selling it that way. If you aked him how much it was, he would say something like, "Just look at it. Its a lot." He had no idea how much it was, and you couldn't go by the demensions of the dumpster because it was not split and it was just thrown in there. He no longer sells wood like that, apparently someone complained and the state or the local gov't got in touch with him.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
sullystull said:

Selling by wieght is a problem. Green wood weighs more and thus, you get less than if it were truely seasoned wood. The only way to sell wood here in PA is by the cord, or the fraction there of.

I knew of a guy who had unsplit stove length (or so) pieces chucked into a dumpster and he was selling it that way. If you aked him how much it was, he would say something like, "Just look at it. Its a lot." He had no idea how much it was, and you couldn't go by the demensions of the dumpster because it was not split and it was just thrown in there. He no longer sells wood like that, apparently someone complained and the state or the local gov't got in touch with him.

Shawn

You do have a point. I know in some states it is legal to sell by weight--because it is a measurable amount. More so than simply a "truck load".

sullystull said:

Never heard of that seeing as how moisture can be 80% of the weight of a fresh cut tree, lets see I will have a 1000 lbs of oak 500 lbs of black locust and 200 lbs of that red maple over there please sir. :zip:

cptoneleg said:
sullystull said:

Never heard of that seeing as how moisture can be 80% of the weight of a fresh cut tree, lets see I will have a 1000 lbs of oak 500 lbs of black locust and 200 lbs of that red maple over there please sir. :zip:

It's worked out for me...but I may be a bit more educated than others in terms of what to look for in seasoned wood. Around here, mills are selling it for $4/100lbs.

sullystull said:
cptoneleg said:
sullystull said:

It's worked out for me...but I may be a bit more educated than others in terms of what to look for in seasoned wood. Around here, mills are selling it for $4/100lbs.

Then that will be $68.00 for u educated fellows a bit more for others :zip:

I've got some elm to sell by weight. When I split it the water gushes out!

Weight isn't a horrible idea, but it would be too complex, especialy when you consider that sellers nowadays don't know the difference between a face cord or a chord or a quart. When you haul a load of corn to the grain elevator they weigh your full truck, then they weigh your empty truck, then they take MC readings of the grain, then they cut you a check based on the MC and weight.

Wood all has the same BTUs per lb, more or less, so once you factor out the water, we could be paying per BTUs instead of cords...

He gets it at a mill so thats not bad they have scales, Saw mill or paper mill? Slab wood, or

Status
Not open for further replies.