The 034 Blues...crankshaft seals, bearings, or new carb?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he mostly assembled it, and you didn't pay him for his time? No wonder they don't want to see you coming.

Looking at your pics up at the top... aside from the missing air filter, the fuel line is disconnected from the carb, and the plug wire is wrapped in electrical tape. It obviously won't run if gas can't get to the carb, and electrical tape is no substitute for intact plug wire insulation so the ignition might be shorting out. Since it wasn't running when you got it, and was disassembled to a degree you haven't described, there could be all sorts of things going on that we don't know about.
Jon1270...you assume much too much brother. Money is never an issue with me thankfully.
Hell, I would've & could've paid them upfront to get the job done...not sit on their ass with a bunch of excuses!
What I was attempting to say is that is as far as he got and then he just set it on the shelf without following up...so I settled with him on Diagnostic fee and left with my saw!
I've come up with a sure-fire remedy though.

I don't think I would buy a box of parts with the hope or plan that I could get someone else to put it together & get it running right for me. I would buy it with the full intention of doing it all myself with the understood chance that it might not be possible to resurrect it - you never know what trouble lurks in a box of parts, or what is missing from it. Or how much time & expense will need to be spent on it.
I agree with Jon there could be lots of stuff that you have not uncovered yet.

Honestly I would first decide how much money and time do you want to invest in this saw ? Once you have made that decision then if there are no good saw shops find a good small engine mechanic. Saws are fairly simple and a small engine mechanic that's been in business for him/her self for a good length of time can probably sort it out for you.

Lots of times these big dealers may hire fresh grads from tech schools or the guy down the road who says he is a good mechanic. However a good small engine mechanic ( probably most known for fixing mowers and snow blowers) has a reputation on the line that's probably more personal to him or her and will make sure the repair is done correctly.

Just have a discussion first about how much ( or little) your willing to spend. Someone you trust that's not just out to squeeze every last penny from you. There are still good honest people out there in small businesses like engine repair you just have to find them.

The other option is sell it as is as a parts saw and put the money towards something newer or something with a known history.

If it were me, and just being honest, I'd sell it as a parts saw. I already have another saw in a box of parts that needs sorted out. I'm not in the business of buying and selling saws for profit I just need saws that get the job done. So for me it would be on CL as a parts saw. But if your intent is to repair it and use it or sell it everyone is different. That's fine too just make sure you don't get so far into it your spending more on it than what it's actually worth. And meanwhile it's not cutting any wood for you .

Good luck with it and let us know what you do with it
Very logical...I bought for dirt cheap...remembering the great service I had from a prior 034...I don't make a living from my saws...it's just a hobby & exercise.
This is pretty dam good motivation to take a small engine repair class...If I had the time.
Just tossing this out to hear of some decent options...your sounds stellar!;)

I don't think I would buy a box of parts with the hope or plan that I could get someone else to put it together & get it running right for me. I would buy it with the full intention of doing it all myself with the understood chance that it might not be possible to resurrect it - you never know what trouble lurks in a box of parts, or what is missing from it. Or how much time & expense will need to be spent on it.
I've done it a few dozen times and it has worked out great.
I "had" a trusted Tech who's a couple of hours away...I was attempting to establish & cultivate a similar relationship in my current town.

Status
Not open for further replies.