1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The 262xp is IN!

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Aug 30, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hey guys - just received my 262xp from a co-worker - shipped to me from Virginia. Bought the saw sight unseen, so wasn't sure what to expect. As you might guess, I'm still smiling - she purrs like a lion! Sent all original paperwork and original bar in original package. Not used much at all. Pull 155psi. Going to have a hard time sleeping tonight......just came in after a couple hours of playing with her. Cheers!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Did it ever get used? That thing looks like one of Dexter/s saws. _g :p
    DexterDay likes this.
  3. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Wow......that is a very valuable saw. Looks brand new.
  4. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Did get some use MM - just not much - piston looks brand new and when I removed the muffler bolts they looked brand new too. Spent some time cleaning her up, but she wasn't too dirty to begin with - real happy. Yes Hittin - lucked out on this one for sure! Cheers!
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    What kind of specs does the 262 run at ? (yeah, too lazy to look them up.:p)
  6. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hey Jags - spec'd at 62cc, 4.8hp, weight is 13.8lb, max rpm 13.5K, 48 bore and 32 stroke. Really like the weight on the saw. Cheers!
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    So that is a direct competitor of the MS361. Interdasting.
  8. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I believe it is 12.8 lbs. ;)

If it were 13.8, it wouldn't hold the best power to weight ratio title that made it so popular during its time.

Jags, I believe it was discontinued well before the 361 arrived. So it wouldn't have technically been a competitor of the 361 because it couldn't be purchased new at the same time....... probably a direct competitor of the 036. If we're splitting hairs :)
    Jags likes this.
  9. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Yeah, I'd say so - really hard decision for me on whether to keep my MS362 or this saw. Can't justify keeping both (at least my wife can't ;hm). 262xp is a 90's saw - I think the 361 was a mid-2000's addition to the Stihl line. Cheers!
  10. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    You're right hittin - typo!
  11. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    If you ever want to get rid of the 262, there will be plenty of buyers if you keep it and the manuals etc. in their current condition. Again, awesome score. I have owned 2 - 262's over the years, but never in that type of condition.
  12. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hittin - yes, I think that's the current plan - unfortunately.....Cheers!
  13. HittinSteel

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    <insert picture of buzzard circling> let me know if you want to sell :)
    DexterDay likes this.
  14. Keep the 262xp!!!

It's from way back when saws were designed to be simple, reliable lightweight and powerful. But new enough to be riding on springs and have good air filtration -- the golden age of chainsaws.

You can always buy another 362. Good luck finding another 262xp in that condition. Fwiw I barely use my ms361 since I got my 254xp.
  15. +1
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    HittinSteel likes this.
  16. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Dang Mike - that was my thought too, probably shouldn't have listed on eBay so fast, but can't keep $ tied up. If it doesn't sell, perhaps I'll reconsider. I did find the lack of decomp valve to actually matter on this saw - found it to pull pretty darn hard (or perhaps I'm just getting old and weak!). Cheers!
  17. hemlock

hemlock Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    east coast canada
    Thats a great saw you've got. I'd hang on to it. I've got an older one (thats a sight bit uglier), and it's a pleasure to use. They were built to last.
  18. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    The husky Guys swear the 262 xp was the best 60 cc saw out there till the 562 arrived . Ive been told it will out perform the 268 all day . How and were did you find that saw in that shape !
  19. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I'm with them. You could have posted it here or "AnotherSite" and got exactly what your looking for.

Now I have to search FleaBay.... :(
  20. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Thanks guys. I talked with a co-worker this summer while working in Ohio and she mentioned her Dad had a saw that he hadn't used in forever - I asked her to talk with him. She did, told me it was a 262xp - so I told her I'd buy if he wanted to sell. I had no idea of condition - figured if it was toast I could at least part out and make a little money. He asked for $40, and I gave her $35 for shipping - so ended up with the saw for $75 - best deal I've ever had. I think I made a mistake listing on eBay - I hope it doesn't sell - I want to keep the saw at this point, so........please.......don't bid!! Cheers!