1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The 30 Doing It

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by katwillny, Nov 4, 2012.

1. katwillny

katwillny Guest

We had the first below 30 night and I cranked up both the 30 and the P22 last night. Filled up the 30 last night with maple, oak and locust and she was putting out some serious heat. Woke up this morning and the house was nice and toasty and a nice coal bed. And so it begins a new season.

Attached Files:

• 1at.PNG
      1at.PNG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • snd.PNG
      snd.PNG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    n3pro and raybonz like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HighHeat22

HighHeat22 Member

Loc:
    southern michigan
    I wish I had gotten a 30 last fall when the prices where coming down. But, something always came and diverted the money. My next stove will be a 30 hopefully soon.
  3. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Its a great stove for the price. I get really good heat out of it, she does eat a lot of wood. Thats the only thing i will say thats not positive about her. But I have plenty of "free" wood so i am not too worried about it.
  4. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    2nd season for my 30. Got really good wood this year and it has made a big difference in performance and consumption. Love this stove 4 sure.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks like a very lively fire. Is the air control closed all the way?
  6. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    I wouldn't say mine "eats" wood... in fact, it seems to use LESS the fuller I pack it. Seems like you might be allowing it a bit too much air? I know mine seemed to use a lot when using smaller loads and leaving the air open.
  7. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Make those splits larger, and it won't go through it as fast.
  8. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    hairdryer!!
  9. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Congrats.

If i had of known about how good the 30 is i would have gotten it i like my current stove just sayin.
  10. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    In comparison, the 30 goes through less wood and provides more usable heat than the Heritage did. Though, it is not as efficient as the Defiant. But, it is easier and cheaper to maintain. Also, new, the Defiant is 3 times the cost. It is definitely not three times more efficient. The 30 is doing exactly what it was advertised as.

I have some really big splits in my stacks that I have not gotten to and maybe won't get to until next winter. I look forward to see the difference when I try the large slab splits.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Kawill, I never tire of seeing your hearth and stove.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Very nice setup katwillny.

Pete
  13. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Nice burning for sure,my neighbor has a 30 ,it's a good thing he owns 100 acres of wood cuz a 30 has a healthy appetite.Nevertheless it definitely throws the heat and keeps em warm.
  14. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Certainly no more of an appetite than any other stove rated for heating a similar amount of space.

I went from heating this place with 5.5 to 6 cord of wood with my fisher stove, down to 4 to 4.5 cord with the 30, and the house is more comfortable too boot. To me, this thing is pretty darn stingy on wood. I can't see another stove of any make allowing me to heat this place with much less wood than the 30 uses.

pen
  15. katwillny

katwillny Guest

@pen. Don't tell my wife about the hair dryer. It's the easiest way for me to get a quick draft and get no smoke.
    Yea the fire is lively, I usually have the air at mid level, which is perhaps why it goes through lots of wood. I Am still learning it's ways. I really like the stove, I love the big glass .
    @ Dennis, thanks I like the hearth also, I almost tore it down this summer and rebuilt it with stone but Susi talked me out of it as there were other projects that are 90% percent complete. Lol. Thanks all.
  16. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    That seems like far too much air and would explain why it is eating a lot of wood.
    PapaDave and pen like this.
  17. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Yes it may be too much air. Thanks. Learning process. Also this season will be my first having good seasoned wood since I got her so I'm sure that will make a big difference .
  18. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    You can push that rod right in once you've got er going. Then you can watch the secondaries put on a show. Definitely why it is wood hungary.
  19. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    My first year with the 30 and I'm loving it. It is doing what I was hoping and making the living room much more comfortable then the Napoleon did. I'm having issues getting the hang of the air control. I'm thinking about painting some lines or something on it. I seem to be making too large of adjustments, and have to pull it out.
  20. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Beautiful hearth Warm and cozy. Thanks for the pics
  21. bluedogz

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    I've been trying to move it in increments matching the depth of the spring handle thingy, so about 1" at a time. I thought about painting lines as well, but that requires... effort.
    n3pro likes this.
  22. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I've been making too many of those on here lately, so I'll let this one pass. ;lol
    PapaDave, n3pro and tfdchief like this.
  23. bluedogz

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Wah wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh...... :cool:
  24. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Do any of you guys have the blower on your 30?
    Then i hate to ask the next question . Do any of you guys have the blower on your 30s? i have two 30s and never ran a blower on either, but have one on my harman and my country hearth.They seem to work well especialy when the stovetop temp gets too high., Wondering if the blower is necessary on the 30?
  25. BrowningBAR

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    It probably depends on your setup. I have mine in a pretty small area (considering the size of the stove) and I haven't noticed much difference with or without the blower.

I don't see the blower getting much use from me.

I could easily see it coming in handing if this was wedged into a fireplace. Also, if you buy from Home Depot, the stove comes with a blower at no additional cost.