the age old question...........how many splits in a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmer55

Nov 14, 2009
bay shore, ny
was curious, ideas of how many splits in a cord? let" say 16"-20" average, the type any guy on long island drops

fm said:
was curious, ideas of how many splits in a cord? let" say 16"-20" average, the type any guy on long island drops
That's gonna' be a tough one. How big across are the splits? 3", 6"? I tried counting the splits in one of my stacks last year. Used a pencil to mark the ones counted. My wife came out to ask WTH I was doing, and I lost track. I quit after that. Sorry man, I tried. %-P

Let's see: Assume a split is 4"x4"x16". That's 256 cu in per split (that seems high to me, can someone check my math?).

A cord is 128 cu ft, which is 12x12x12x128= 221,184 cu in per cord.

So, 221,184 / 256 = 864 splits per cord, more or less.

Is there a prize?

What I've been wondering is how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Archie-Does that account for air space?

gzecc said:
Archie-Does that account for air space?

No it does not. Good catch. So I guess the split count would go down a bit. What do you think, maybe 5-10%. I have no idea but I think there are some threads that have gone into that topic.

I think 12% should account for air, unless its green wood, then there would be less splits.

Before I read any other replies, I thought I'd prepare my engineer's estimate of the number of splits. Since I are an engineer, you can count of this being a precise yet conservative estimate, as long as an appropriate factor of safety is applied.

I assume a typical split is 4 inches by 5 inches, which is 20 inches square, or 20/144 = 0.1389 square feet. the face of a face cord is 4 ft by 8 ft or 32 square feet. If everything fit perfectly together, there would be 32/0.1389 = 230 splits in a face cord, and with 16 inch splits, there would be three face cords in a cord. That means there would be 691 splits in a cord (I am carrying decimals in my calculator, I know 3 x 230 = 690, not 691). However, I have read that a cord, which occupies 128 cubic feet of space, actually contains about 85 cubic feet of solid wood, on average. That means a cord is 80/128 = 62.5% wood, or about .0625 x 691 = 432 splits.

Now for the factor of safety: If you need a cord of wood to stay warm this winter, i'd be conservative and apply a factor of safety of about 2.5, so you should collect at least 1080 splits. If your porch can support a cord of wood, I'd apply the same 2.5 factor of safety in a different way, and load no more than 172 splits. So, a cord of wood is between 172 and 1080 splits, depending on who you ask.

Wow!

In my opinion, if you're trying to determine cords by counting the number of splits... you're doing it wrong. haha!

-SF

I think some people have to much time on there hands. %-P

Wood Duck said:
Before I read any other replies, I thought I'd prepare my engineer's estimate of the number of splits. Since I are an engineer, you can count of this being a precise yet conservative estimate, as long as an appropriate factor of safety is applied.

I assume a typical split is 4 inches by 5 inches, which is 20 inches square, or 20/144 = 0.1389 square feet. the face of a face cord is 4 ft by 8 ft or 32 square feet. If everything fit perfectly together, there would be 32/0.1389 = 230 splits in a face cord, and with 16 inch splits, there would be three face cords in a cord. That means there would be 691 splits in a cord (I am carrying decimals in my calculator, I know 3 x 230 = 690, not 691). However, I have read that a cord, which occupies 128 cubic feet of space, actually contains about 85 cubic feet of solid wood, on average. That means a cord is 80/128 = 62.5% wood, or about .0625 x 691 = 432 splits.

Now for the factor of safety: If you need a cord of wood to stay warm this winter, i'd be conservative and apply a factor of safety of about 2.5, so you should collect at least 1080 splits. If your porch can support a cord of wood, I'd apply the same 2.5 factor of safety in a different way, and load no more than 172 splits. So, a cord of wood is between 172 and 1080 splits, depending on who you ask.

i is also one (engineer) only with an aeroplain background
we figure everything with a safety factor of 6 (behind the cockpit)
so i would say to buy at least 2592 splits to make sure you are prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.