The Amount of Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
A good friend of mine for many years, having migrated from burning wood, to a Pellet Stove, told me in an e-mail this morning, that he "isn't even able to get enough draft yet."

He said this, in response to my e-mail from yesterday, in which I stated that we had cranked the wood stove yesterday morning.

My question is: I thought that "draft" was something that was a biproduct of your elevation, chimney exposure or lack thereof, and wind intensity. I DIDN'T think it had anything to do with the temperature outside.

Assuming a proper set up of his Pellet Stove, .........shouldn't he always get SOME "draft" to his chimney, (just because "heat needs a place to rise to" if nothing else)?

I'd think (although this would be crazy) I could start my wood stove anytime of year, and "draft" would not be a factor, other than the amount of draft due to wind, chimney location, and any interferance with that location in some way.

Perhaps I need an education in "draft?"

-Soupy1957

As BB mentioned temp does play a factor . . . this time of year I often crack a window near my stove to get the stove going since the temps inside and outside are sometimes pretty close to each other . . . in the winter when the temp is notably colder than inside it is a non-issue.

I do have a question . . . pellet stoves most always have a forced draft . . . I mean to say that while many are installed with a few vertical feet to have a bit of a draft should there be a power loss . . . there is generally no need to worry about draft when it comes to a pellet stove.

Fair question, Jake. Knowing nothing about a "Pellet Stove" setup really. I"ll ask him that.

-Soupy1957

firefighterjake said:
As BB mentioned temp does play a factor . . . this time of year I often crack a window near my stove to get the stove going since the temps inside and outside are sometimes pretty close to each other . . . in the winter when the temp is notably colder than inside it is a non-issue.

I do have a question . . . pellet stoves most always have a forced draft . . . I mean to say that while many are installed with a few vertical feet to have a bit of a draft should there be a power loss . . . there is generally no need to worry about draft when it comes to a pellet stove.
vertical rise on pstove chimney is so that when the power goes out, the heated chimney will draft smoke outdoors

BLIMP said:
firefighterjake said:

vertical rise on pstove chimney is so that when the power goes out, the heated chimney will draft smoke outdoors

Pretty sure that's what I said.

firefighterjake said:
BLIMP said:
firefighterjake said:

Ys, bt u ddnt sy it as eloqntly as p00k :lol:

firefighterjake said:
BLIMP said:
firefighterjake said:

ya but u forgot to mention heat as the draft engine + i think when draft becomes a factor as with a tall interior chimni, the stove should be adjusted to compensate for the excess draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.