The Arbutus install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arbutus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2007
Michigan UP
I'll update this thread with pictures and notes regarding my install.

The system is a complete retrofit that replaces electric baseboard heat in an early 1990s two story house plus basement in Michigan's UP.

I have an Empyre Elite 100 boiler that will be going in a shed near the house.

Panel radiators on the second story, in the bedrooms and bathrooms.
One panel radiator on the first story, with a Thermofin C array under the wood and tile floor.
Panel radiators in the basement.

I'm currently in the process of running pex al pex from the basement mechanical room to the panel radiator locations in the second story, through holes cut in the walls and holes cut in the second story subfloor.

I've got a general overall schematic, that needs more ball valves and drains on the house side.

My largest question right now is regarding the best method to limit the water temperature of the Thermofin C array. Can it be done as shown if the valve marked with the question mark is a Taco I series outdoor reset valve? Should it be done this way? Is there a better way?

My second largest question is regarding the wood boiler side pump. A bumblebee will deliver the required flow, and I figured a variable speed would be good to match the actual load required. Good idea? Better to go with a single speed pump that is always on? Thoughts?

I also don't have a secondary heat source selected yet. The electric baseboard is GONE, and I don't want it back, as it ate up a lot of wall space. Electric heat backup isn't out of the question, but it would have to be in the form of an electric boiler or the electric add on kit for the wood boiler.We will have a small propane tank on site. Probably 100 gallon.

Thanks and stay tuned!

Attachments

• Piping Schematic.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 242
The thermofin C is under floor radiant? If so just use a 3 way mixing valve to limit the supply temp to whatever is safe for your floors. Variable speed pumps are almost always worth the little extra upfront money.

Status
Not open for further replies.