the art of heating with a wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j7art2

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2014
Northern, MI
I realize that there will be a lot of overlap here with standard fire building and other wood burning ways, but growing up with a radiant wood stove my whole life, I've quickly learned that heating with a wood furnace is a completely different ballgame. A lot of what I learned in regards to my wood stove does not apply to my wood furnace, or needs to be modified in such a way to where it becomes it's own technique.

I feel that there should be a thread where general wood furnace questions could be asked, as well as knowledge sharing to get the best from our contained fire beasts. I'll share two tips I've recently found, and if you're willing to share yours, please do so.

Fire building:

One tip I just discovered with my wood furnace is starting the fire with an upside down fire. I have been an outdoorsman my whole life, and have build hundreds if not thousands of fires. For the life of me, my first two dozen fires in this thing would be a PAIN to start. I'd get TONS of smoke drafting everywhere but up the chimney, failure to light with 2 year old seasoned ash, etc etc.

I decided to try an upside down fire; where you put your largest logs on the bottom, and stack to smaller, then kindling on top. Essentially, it burns from the top down, creating less ash, smoke, etc. Since my burn box is narrow but long, I couldn't stack it exactly how you'd find in a standard google search, but I did give it a whirl.

I was sold immediately. The kindling lit much more easily, I didn't have to use ANY cardboard, and only a very small piece of paper as opposed to multiple pieces strategically placed around the box. I had a lot of long lasting coals, and it seemed as if the whole unit heated faster and with less wood. I also didn't need to use a fire poker at all. Score. I kept the draft blower door fully open the whole time too.

Getting heat:
In my particular unit, I noticed that it takes a TON of effort to get it to operating temperature, but once it gets there, it's pretty easy to stay there. I normally have to start the fire with 3-5 good sized logs, and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get to where we're starting to get to operating temperature with a bed of coals. Once going, I toss on a log or two every few hours. I turned down the low setting on the limit switch lower than it likely should be, because once that thing starts making heat, I want it immediately piped into the house, even if it's only slightly warm and is in the process of warming up.

Does anyone else have tips to share? How do you get the most of your wood furnace? Any tips on firewood preservation (so you're not heating the outside), making your unit more efficient, keeping coals alive throughout the night, etc? Any tips would be great. Maybe we can get a compilation and get them stickied for newbies to these things like me.

I hope others will come along and add to your thread.

I'm always impressed reading about people who've had good luck with the top down starting method. There are a handful of people with gassers who also swear by it. For the life of me I've never been able to make it work. I find it more troublesome to have the coals on top rather than on the bottom (particularly with mine being a downdrafter) but I also found it took longer to get my flue temps up when starting on top. Between these two issues it just simply doesn't work for me.

Good luck with your burning this year. And good luck with your helpful hints thread.

Burn 3 pieces of wood at a time for a more efficient fire, firewood needs a buddy in the firebox. Adding a log or two may not keep a fire hot enough to burn efficiently. There's a fine line between long burns and alot of creosote on wood furnaces that don't incorporate a true secondary burn. Watch your chimney, it will tell you what's going on in the firebox.

Your in a different boat than I. Up till 4 or 5 years ago we had a basic furnace like yours, but we now have a high effiency unit. Last night for example consisted of 4 med sized splits. Loaded at 9:30pm and at 4:30 am had enough coals to rake forward and load a few splits. The firebox size of our new furnace is a little over half of the old furnace yet the burn times are longer, and wood consumption is lower.

Reactions: lampmfg
This is my first ever wood burning appliance. I just start the fire like I do any other fire and once the fire gets going the computer takes over controlling the combustion air in order to maintain optimal burn. I do monitor/verify my draft using my permanently mounted manometer in order to keep it at 0.06".

There are a couple little things I'm starting to do when starting a fire in a cold stove in order to get it up to temp as quickly as possible, but other than that there's really nothing to it.

My tip would be pay attention to how long X amount of wood burns. This way you can load for time frames. I don't want to put in a 12 hr load at 10 pm if I need to reload at 6 am before work,

Well, what are they?

If I have the time, when starting a fire in a cold furnace, I load a bunch of smaller kindling/wood and leave my ash pan door open and set both my manual and barometric dampers at max draft until the computer senses the temp and adjusts the air damper to '1' (meaning the computer has sensed the temp is almost to what I have it set to). I keep the heat output setting on the computer on low. Once this happens I then close the ash door but leave the draft at maximum until I get coals. I then rake the coals forward, load it and then set my draft to 0.06". This method seems to get the furnace up to temp faster and therefore gets it to go smokeless faster.

I agree with the loading time frames. I'm currently burning mostly 2-ish year old pine (split very small and shorter than I'd like for this furnace) with just a couple small hardwood splits per load. Seems I can get about 10 hours out of that.

It would be interesting to do a load weight vs burn time chart. I wonder if after awhile you'd see a pattern and then could dial in your burn times just by adding a certain weight of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.