The Ash Borer is here in PA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="... I already have more dead wood than I need.[/quote]

Could you let it stand for a few more years and then harvest it? I'm going to get a few dead elms this fall that the bark is falling off of.
They must be 3-5 years dead, but the wood is still good.

yes, i can wait, currently I am only cutting up wood that is dead and fallen over. If it is standing I am letting it go. Fortuneatly I do not have alot of ash trees, although some are close to the house. I may take those out when they die so I can control where they fall.

GolfandWoodNut said:
woodmaster the problem is wood prices are back to 1970s levels now and I think they would make a real mess of my woods. I will try to hold off as long as I can, or hopefully do a selective cut from time to time.

Ash and oak prices are the highest they have ever been recentLEE. Better check it out.

captiveLEE said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
woodmaster the problem is wood prices are back to 1970s levels now and I think they would make a real mess of my woods. I will try to hold off as long as I can, or hopefully do a selective cut from time to time.

Ash and oak prices are the highest they have ever been recentLEE. Better check it out.
Thanks Lee, I guess things change fast, about a year and a half ago I had a guy tell me they were really low.

maplewood said:
[quote author="... I already have more dead wood than I need.

Could you let it stand for a few more years and then harvest it? I'm going to get a few dead elms this fall that the bark is falling off of.
They must be 3-5 years dead, but the wood is still good.[/quote]

If you wait until at least 90% of that bark has fallen off it will split much, much easier. I also tend to think it burns a whole lot better because it doesn't get all torn apart during the splitting process.

Status
Not open for further replies.