The Ash Stash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
Got all the ash from the grapple load stacked and covered today. Ended up with 5/8th of a cord. On to the soft maple next.

Attachments

• DSCN3375Ash11-11-12.jpg
    DSCN3375Ash11-11-12.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN3376ash11-11-12.jpg
    DSCN3376ash11-11-12.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 396
Nice looking wood stacks, the rounds are the soft maple?

zap

Reactions: ScotO
The rounds in the front are soft, the rear are hard.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Nice work Bacffin. Keep it up and you will be in BTU heaven. How much wood do you burn through in a year?

Nice ending to a good day ;)
Feels good , eh?

Nice work Bacffin. Keep it up and you will be in BTU heaven. How much wood do you burn through in a year?

Thanks, No clue how much I will go through. This technicaly my first season. Last year I started late in December and it was a warm winter.

Nice ending to a good day ;)
Feels good , eh?

It sure does. Just sit back and wait....and wait, and wait. Maybe fix a tarp here and there, but just wait...

Reactions: PapaDave
That looks great Bacffin good job. It almost looks like a picture O wait it is ;lol

Pete

Got all the ash from the grapple load stacked and covered today. Ended up with 5/8th of a cord. On to the soft maple next.
Good looking stacks. Forgive the newbie question -- what is a grapple load?

Good looking stacks. Forgive the newbie question -- what is a grapple load?
Thanks StacksCT!
A grapple load is a truck that carries logs. I'm sure you have seen them on the roads, a bunch of logs stacked on top of each other with a "grapple" to take them on and off.

Thanks StacksCT!
A grapple load is a truck that carries logs. I'm sure you have seen them on the roads, a bunch of logs stacked on top of each other with a "grapple" to take them on and off.
Gotcha. Get a good price that way?

Nice neat stacking on the wood Bacffin.

Gotcha. Get a good price that way?

It depends. I was scrounging for a while and then ran into a CL add for 6+ cords for 5 bills. I was using the truck and the dump trailer running around picking up bits and pieces here and there, but it was time consuming and it was chewing up fuel too. This seemed to be a decent deal, so I gave it a try. After getting this load and now starting to generate and relationship with the dealer, I will do this again. I think it is worth the money. The deals are out there. You have to hunt and peck vigilently to get them though. This dealer is still selling. http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mat/3389658165.html
~Bruce

Nice neat stacking on the wood Bacffin.

Dennis, you had me thinking as I was stacking this. You mentioned stacking between trees causes the bark to get damaged over time from the trees moving in the winds. Even though I have limited "open" space for stacking and kind of need the trees at this point, I think I have a temporary solution to minimize the scarfing. Instead of making the stacks 48" high, I made them 36" or less, This way, the tree movement will be less at the lower section of the tree and with less movement, less damage...I hope. Once I open up some space in the back, I will be able to just stack on pallets without the trees. Then the trees will be kind of safe again...from man kind anyway. (Of course they just fall over because they 100ft tall, but I have no control over that.)

Thanks,
Bruce

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Dennis, you had me thinking as I was stacking this. You mentioned stacking between trees causes the bark to get damaged over time from the trees moving in the winds. Even though I have limited "open" space for stacking and kind of need the trees at this point, I think I have a temporary solution to minimize the scarfing. Instead of making the stacks 48" high, I made them 36" or less, This way, the tree movement will be less at the lower section of the tree and with less movement, less damage...I hope. Once I open up some space in the back, I will be able to just stack on pallets without the trees. Then the trees will be kind of safe again...from man kind anyway. (Of course they just fall over because they 100ft tall, but I have no control over that.)

Thanks,
Bruce

Good thinking Bruce.

Reactions: PapaDave
Still waiting......

Think it is dry yet? Gonna be a year in a couple of weeks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.