The Ashford is now the main heat source!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
After getting an idea of how it was gonna do, I decided to move it up to my 6" chimney, which is my main stove. It seemed to do fine on the 8" chimney but I'm anxious to see if it performs any different on the 6". So the test begins!
Here are a few pics of the Cape Cod going out and the Ashford coming in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 314
Cool, I'm going to be adding a second stove and have been throwing around the idea of a BK just not really digging the looks of them, not even the Ashford. Might give the new Woodstock a shot when it comes out but it's looking to be quite a bit on the ugly side as well. I was thinking about the Cape Cod too but just don't know...

Decision decision...;hm:)

I can fix you up!

Yeah, I know, I just keep holding out to see some better pics of the new Woodstock stove when it's released.

!!!
Very nice setup, and I'd be happy with one of those Escaleras....an Ashford too.:cool:

Webby, would it be possible for you to get the usable firebox dimensions for me?
I need a comparo to my stove, and don't trust the manufacturers numbers..........nun of 'em.:mad:

!!!
Very nice setup, and I'd be happy with one of those Escaleras....an Ashford too.:cool:

Webby, would it be possible for you to get the usable firebox dimensions for me?
I need a comparo to my stove, and don't trust the manufacturers numbers..........nun of 'em.:mad:
Sure, next time I can get close to it!:cool:

Reactions: PapaDave
I wish our Escalara was in that good of shape! That thing looks brand new

I have to say that the Ashford is doing even better on the 6" flue, and double wall pipe. I am getting longer burns and cleaner glass so far.
This is a pic 34.5 hours in! The therm has been set on #2. It was a load of red oak and black locust. This pic is looking through the glass, all I did was turn the air up and opened the bypass. The glass is a little dirty on the sides but not bad at all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 250
Awesome! How is it heating the space compared to the Lopi?

The Lopi was not a good heater this time of year, it would run too hot! It takes a while to get it running good enough to shut the bypass, after that it's on! It burns great, but hot. I can run a load of wood more than double the amount of time in the Ashford and have the whole house very comfortable. I think they will be comparable on high as far as output goes, but the Ashford has the ability to slow WAY down to a crawl if needed!

but the Ashford has the ability to slow WAY down to a crawl if needed!

Pretty much what I figured! Hard to beat a BK stove for a fall/winter/spring 24/7 burner.

Reactions: webby3650
Very good news on the Ashford! Cheers!
One of the things I like about a cat stove is the fact that it cleans up the smoke sooner then a tube(temp wise) and keeps cleaning it up longer on the downward side of peak.
And the long slow burns in the shoulders are superb!

I would wake up at 2 A.M smoking hot, or put a partial load in and have a dead stove in the morning. This BK will alleviate a lot of heating issues this winter! The Cod will do great once it's real cold out, but the problem is that I have no other heat and I'm not comfortable in a 55 degree house, or a 95 degree house either. ==c

I can fix you up!
That's nutty talk; It needs to go into the Museum of Stove History in your garage. We'll stop by on a yearly basis to see the new additions, and help you get rid of any beer that might be pushing the 'sell by' date. ==c

the Ashford has the ability to slow WAY down to a crawl if needed!
You can make do with a hotter stove, loading smaller and re-lighting, but it's nice not to have to do that. We get a lot of shoulder-type weather in these parts....

35 hours and that many coals left? That's better than my king usually does!

webby, how deep is the firebox ?
I sold my cape cod last week and from your reports
I will be ordering the ASHFORD this week.
Also, is the paint on the ashford comparable to the finish
on the cod, I like the paint on the cod, but my dealer says he can
get the ashford in a black enamel comparable to jotul's blue black finish
so I have not decided on the finish yet.

It's about that same color as the Cod. It's metallic black and the Cod is charcoal.
Why did you sell your Cod?

Sold the Cod because the wife preferred the look of the F600 better for our living room
and I need a more controllable low burn because I will be using it in the kitchen to help
keep the temperatures in the whole house more constant as the F600 burns hot and so did
the Cod.

35 hours and that many coals left? That's better than my king usually does!
Sorry, I have to make an edit here. I said it was at the 34.5 hours when I took the pic. It was actually 30.5 hours I got my math a little off. Sorry for any confusion.
It still exceeded the burn time stated by BK! :cool: Just like the King, meets or exceeds published burn times with ease!

Just like the King, meets or exceeds published burn times with ease!

I think I remember reading their published numbers are with the cat still staying active. This is what I've found to be true with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.