The Baby Harman Lives!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
After setting up the piping last night, I just test fired the Baby Harman (P43) when I got home today and she is good to go. Still waiting for the side shields so only ran it a little over 5 minutes.

P4320Set20up_zpscxoyka03.jpg

P43%20inagral%20burn_zps8ohmv4ep.jpg

I originally had it situated catty-corner as I had the Hastings, but since the P43 isn't as wide as the Hastings, I turned it so that instead of the warm air being blown into a dead corner of my living room, it blows straight down my hallway toward the bedrooms. With the Hastings, I had to have a tower fan and a upper corner fan at the start of the hallway to blow the warm air into the bedrooms.

With my P43, I'm hoping that the warm air will be blown straight into the rooms since they are over the garage and get very cold from the floor (despite R19 insulation and area rugs). The test seemed to bear out my theory and the far rooms shot up to 70 in almost no time. Hopefully it will move the warm air as well when it is cold out and I can do away with other fans all together. Although I had to shut it down, once the heat shields for that left side are in place, I can run it full time on auto and let it decide what it should be doing. But for now I am happy with just the short test and the P61a can keep the chill off until then.

I must thank CleanFire once again for helping me pick up this stove last spring. Although I liked the Hastings and it did well, this will be a better stove for my circumstances.

Reactions: killie11
Looks like a warm winter in your home:) Maybe after it settles in after the season can try and get it off the blocks.
Was there any doubt that the Harman would not come to life?

I have it on the blocks as the stove exhaust is lower than what it was for the previous stove. I really, really don't want to cut more holes in my walls since that is new sheetrock (put in last summer). And the siding is so old, that matching it to cover up the existing hole is probably not going to happen.

As for doubting that it would fire up, you never know when you buy a used stove - especially sight unseen (much less fired up) until you go to pick it up. I figured they couldn't do too much damage in just a couple of years, but rarely do things work out well for me the first, second or third time, so I have learned to have low expectations to begin with :)

I understand about the hole issue as I think you stated the issue on another post. Some painted and bent tin should cover the blocks nicely and without to much $$. It just gives me the creeps like seeing a stripped abandoned car in a bad neighborhood.

Reactions: bogieb
I really don't notice the blocks just in everyday looking at it. In the picture, they do tend to jump out at you, but that is because I got down to its level to take the picture. The blocks are only 2" tall and flush with the edges of the stove's pedestal. And looking from above, they are close enough in color to the surrounding pad, that it isn't really noticeable.

But yeah, one day I'd like to put some real rise in that pipe, it only has about 16" of rise, and not have a funky configuration back there. Maybe someday I'll bite the bullet when I'm not busy ripping apart other areas of my house that need repair and do it up better. Would love to eliminate that little wall that is beside the stove anyway but it is load bearing so will take $$ and experts to do so.

Your stove, your house but you've got a corner install and a corner oriented hearth pad. It looks strange situated that way. They make adjustable pellet pipe in all sorts of lengths. That would eliminate the blocks at least. Also, if you turn to the 45 degree angle you only need 9" of clearance, with or without side shields.

Your stove, your house but you've got a corner install and a corner oriented hearth pad. It looks strange situated that way. They make adjustable pellet pipe in all sorts of lengths. That would eliminate the blocks at least. Also, if you turn to the 45 degree angle you only need 9" of clearance, with or without side shields.

Yeah, all those are left from the previous stove, which was at a 45. Think I pretty much covered why I didn't want the 45 degree angle. An adjustable pipe is too long for what I have there (yes, really). 6" pipe too short. Really, I'm the only one that will ever see the thing, so really don't care that much how it looks to others, just happy to find it works and my piping job didn't leak.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Yeah, all those are left from the previous stove, which was at a 45. Think I pretty much covered why I didn't want the 45 degree angle. An adjustable pipe is too long for what I have there (yes, really). 6" pipe too short. Really, I'm the only one that will ever see the thing, so really don't care that much how it looks to others, just happy to find it works and my piping job didn't leak.
Roger that!

I really don't notice the blocks just in everyday looking at it. In the picture, they do tend to jump out at you, but that is because I got down to its level to take the picture. The blocks are only 2" tall and flush with the edges of the stove's pedestal. And looking from above, they are close enough in color to the surrounding pad, that it isn't really noticeable.

But yeah, one day I'd like to put some real rise in that pipe, it only has about 16" of rise, and not have a funky configuration back there. Maybe someday I'll bite the bullet when I'm not busy ripping apart other areas of my house that need repair and do it up better. Would love to eliminate that little wall that is beside the stove anyway but it is load bearing so will take $$ and experts to do so.
I had a similar situation, my new stove is lower than the previous breckwell. When I went shopping for the harman, the "new" installer at the stove shop indicated, "no problem making a transition from old to new". If I had thought about it, I would have realized you can't have piping transition down...I bought the stove thinking I could do the swap no problem. My mistake taking his word for it. $750 later, my new stove is ready.. all new pipe, oak and all. Just disappointed about having to pay someone to cut, paste, new piece of non matching siding, patch job inside etc. Live and learn.

Plus, what you don't see, is that wall isn't solid - there is a doorway into the kitchen at the edge of the hearth pad on the left. Sure, it looks a little odd - but probably not as odd as what you are imagining

Instead of blocks you can build a platform under your hearth pad to raise it up.

Mine is 2x6, but you can use whatever size you need.

20150923_082136.jpg

Instead of blocks you can build a platform under your hearth pad to raise it up.
That's a good idea. If only I were as good at building things as I am on the demolition end - LOL.

Reactions: Papelletman
Looks like a warm winter in your home:) Maybe after it settles in after the season can try and get it off the blocks.

Was thinking last night that with the shields put on, I can move the stove closer to the wall (yeah, give Harman Lover more heartburn over the aesthetics - LOL) - and maybe get it off the blocks and use the same piping I have now. Of course, not happening this heating season. So you did get me to thinking.

And you have me thinking more seriously about getting that wall out of there (it's 41" to the doorway), so you also got me to thinking, for which I thank you.

Hey, I may seem like I'm poo-pooing you guys' ideas, but I have to digest and let them percolate around for a while.

Was thinking last night that with the shields put on, I can move the stove closer to the wall (yeah, give Harman Lover more heartburn over the aesthetics - LOL) - and maybe get it off the blocks and use the same piping I have now. Of course, not happening this heating season. So you did get me to thinking.

And you have me thinking more seriously about getting that wall out of there (it's 41" to the doorway), so you also got me to thinking, for which I thank you.

Hey, I may seem like I'm poo-pooing you guys' ideas, but I have to digest and let them percolate around for a while.
We get pooped on all the time here....;) we're used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.