The Banging Zone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphex

Nov 21, 2009
central Maine
Hi all,

1 of my 6 radiant heating zones has decided to occasionally start banging. This occurs only when heating and can be felt in the copper pipes leading to where this zone disappears into the floor. Other zones are fine. Have also noticed that water circulation is also affected in this zone and will sometimes stop heating (pipes from boiler are warm and ones leading back to boiler are cool while circulation pump is on.) The banging will stop if I turn down the thermostat to stop the circulation pump. I can turn it back on 5 minutes later and it might not come back for a day. The circulation stopping is something I've just noticed. Now, would air in the zone cause these these two problems (banging and stopping of circulation) to occur so intermittently? Pressure is about 14 lbs on the gauge on backup oil burner and 13 on the Tarm.

Thanks,
Roger

HS-Tarm Solo Plus
600 gallon storage

I would try bleeding the line, couldn't hurt

I'm also guessing a bit of air somewhere. A couple of my zone valves would shut with a bang (also had small gurgling noises when the flow started), took quite a while for them to quiet themselves - I didn't do anything to them & just let the air work itself out. Now I hear nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.