The Barn, update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
This may get kicked over to the pics forum, but I am starting it here, as it really is just a big wood shed. :lol:

This is the old hay barn on my paternal grandmother's cattle farm as of today. It's getting full.

Looking in:
barnfront1.jpg

On the right, a mix of oak that is split, and pine rounds waiting to be split:
insidedoor1.jpg

On the left, a mix of red oak, white oak, black locust, and pine:
insidedoorleft.jpg

Another shot of the left, with the pine more visible:
insidedoorleft2.jpg

A mix of red oak, if you can see it:
insiderounds1.jpg

Looking back out the door at the pine rounds ready for action:
insiderounds2.jpg

The front of the lean to, full of walnut, hickory, and oak:
leanto1.jpg

The front from a slightly different angle:
leanto2.jpg

The back of th lean to, AKA "The Wall of Pine":
leanto5.jpg

More:
leanto4.jpg

From the back gate:
leanto3.jpg

Nice work!

I figure if Zap stops now and takes a year off, we'll catch him around 2015. ;-P

I bet you are giving Zap a run for his money now. You must have on the order of 20 cord in there?

What kind are those larger rounds in the front row of pics 9 and 10(without the bark). They look a bit too large to toss in the stove un-split!!

Pagey said:
I figure if Zap stops now and takes a year off, we'll catch him around 2015. ;-P

Zap has a much colder climate. This cold snap this early in the season will play heck with even a 4 year supply guy.

wood-fan-atic said:
What kind are those larger rounds in the front row of pics 9 and 10(without the bark). They look a bit too large to toss in the stove un-split!!

That is part of 12 standing dead beetle kill pines that dad took down at his place. This area is covered up with beetle kill pine. I'll probably start splitting on those in the spring.

Pagey said:

Pagey love the pictures, you can stop now you have way more wood then me.

Pagey how old is the barn?

zap

I honestly have no idea how old that barn is. I turned 34 yesterday, and I'm sure it's been there since I was a kid.

Pagey said:
I honestly have no idea how old that barn is. I turned 34 yesterday, and I'm sure it's been there since I was a kid.

Pagey, happy belated birthday.

The Zaps

Thank you, kind sir. I've earned every year and every gray hair. I often remind the kids that I didn't have any gray in the pre-kids era. :coolgrin:

Those are some pretty stacks. I really enjoyed looking through those pictures. Thanks. Oh and good work.

Dad deserves far more credit than I do. He's the feller and bucker. I just handle my splitting and stacking right now. I feel silly admitting it, but in all my years around wood, I've never felled the first tree. It is a skill that I will have to learn sooner rather than later. Can't depend on the "old man" for the rest of my wood burning career.

The old barn makes a perfect wood shed. It looks like it gets plenty of air.

Looks like some great stove chow! Good work!

Looking good! We've got a couple of old barns on our place that I've been eyeing for wood storage. Are you up on the Plateau? We've got some pretty good elevation here on our place in Marshall county, but no pines.

Looks like a great wood shed and love all that wood. Thanks for the pictures....I love pictures of wood stacks. Take care of that old barn and shore it up when needed....it makes to good of a wood shed to let it fall down.

That is awesome. I never get tired of seeing different pictures of wood stacks in sheds or barns.

Keep up the great work.

Awesome indeed. I hope I can get up to that amount of reserve eventually.

Coach B said:
Looking good! We've got a couple of old barns on our place that I've been eyeing for wood storage. Are you up on the Plateau? We've got some pretty good elevation here on our place in Marshall county, but no pines.

Yes, I am on the Plateau near Fall Creek Falls State Park.

hummm seems I've seen that barn before...perfect for drying wood imo. Did you say it was an old tobacco drying shed a few years back?

Now that is A LOT of wood! Nice work! How far away is the barn from your stove? Cheers!

When my grandfather was alive, he stored round bales of hay in it. The barn is about 20 minutes from my home. I work up all my wood there, then I put about 8 face cord in the shed at my house. If I end up needing more than that, I just truck it in from the barn.

Pagey said:
When my grandfather was alive, he stored round bales of hay in it. The barn is about 20 minutes from my home. I work up all my wood there, then I put about 8 face cord in the shed at my house. If I end up needing more than that, I just truck it in from the barn.
Cool! I only see one problem with your setup. You can't look at your massive pile of wood from home........Cheers!

Pagey, that is really nice! That old barn should serve you well for many years yet. One nice thing is that you still have some decent air circulation.

Have you posted pictures of that barn before? They do look familiar. Maybe someone else posted of a barn that looked similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.