The Basement Liner Install - Hints, Tips and Tricks Wanted and Appreciated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Ok, it is time to do liner number two. The basement run is going to be a thirty foot liner down a 7X11 ID clay flue tile chimney. The thimble is an eight inch clay jobbie 20 inches long through the concrete block basement wall. The clean-out door is in the side of the chimney below the target flue and is 8X8. That postage stamp size clean-out door is four feet below the junction of the thimble and the flue tiles. While basically straight down, there is a slight bow to the interior of the chimney. No, it ain't falling down. Wonder mason built it that way.

Pretty much a nightmare in the making.

All suggestions and tips accepted and none argued with. I am sorely tempted to pretend I am in Europe and do a five inch liner into that Jotul in the basement.

I'll probably get razed for this, but I have a similar set up and went with a 5.5" liner. Also have 3 ea 90 elbows, and a cat stove. Draft is great. I couldn't get the 6" liner down, even a local hearth dealer couldn't do it. Took the liner straight through the crock and hooked it directly to the stove pipe with a 6" double male coupling.

Get 3 or 4 estimates from a few Pros. If you are a DYI GOOD LUCK!
You can get ovalized flex.

BrotherBart said:
Ok, it is time to do liner number two. The basement run is going to be a thirty foot liner down a 7X11 ID clay flue tile chimney. The thimble is an eight inch clay jobbie 20 inches long through the concrete block basement wall. The clean-out door is in the side of the chimney below the target flue and is 8X8. That postage stamp size clean-out door is four feet below the junction of the thimble and the flue tiles. While basically straight down, there is a slight bow to the interior of the chimney. No, it ain't falling down. Wonder mason built it that way.

Pretty much a nightmare in the making.

All suggestions and tips accepted and none argued with. I am sorely tempted to pretend I am in Europe and do a five inch liner into that Jotul in the basement.

Which Jotul did you get?

Do you have any help? 2 50' piece of decent rope piece of strapping?

Fish a rope down the center or the liner, got to be decent strength
Once threw I would cut slits in the first ft of the liner wearing gloves bend them in to form a cone and duct tape that cone

Tie a 2.5 lb weight, ( acts as a big washer and if something goes wrong the ablity to pull it back up), to the rope in front of you newly formed and duct taped cone and leave about 8' or loose rope in front. Take that piece of strapping and place it in the clay thimble hole. It acts as a stop should the flue get a way from you. Plus a chance to rest a moment before you next steps.
Reach in the thimble, gloves on and pull that 8' of rope out. You might to be able to complete this with one person but it helps to have someone up above. Leave the strapping in. I forgot a step sorry. You need two 2.5 LB weights one in front of the cone and one inside after the cone. Using that rope start pulling the liner towards you threw the thimble. You may have to use the strapping as a lever and your hands with gloves and work it Making the turn without damaging it or kinking it. It can be done. Once there, pull enought threw to be able to cut that cone off Cap the top with termination cap and flue plate. RTV caulk the cut out in the metal flue cap.

That second piece of rope, tie it to the first 50' piece in front of the cone and drop it down your flue liner first to set up a push pull situation for a second guy inside. It may not be necessary if the flue slides down easilly. I sent yo a PM with another suggestion

Warren said:
Which Jotul did you get?

I have been burning the F100 down there but want to replace it with the F3CB that I have. The draft is for crap on the F100 into that chimney. Especially since I saw the increase in draft on the ole Sierra after I lined the chimney for it.

I don't know if it is possible but stager the heights of the liner and exit cap placements You do not want to draw down the exit from one wood stove back into the other. when only one is in opperation. colder outside air will decend the inactive adjacent flue,
possibly bringing some of the exit smoke or smell with it

elkimmeg said:
I don't know if it is possible but stager the heights of the liner and exit cap placements You do not want to draw down the exit from one wood stove back into the other. when only one is in opperation. colder outside air will decend the inactive adjacent flue,
possibly bringing some of the exit smoke or smell with it

Excellent point. Never had it happen with the two flues before until I lined the one. When testing the liner after the install the smoke was pretty much sucked right down the one next to it.

I will defiantly have to extend the tallest one a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.