The beast awakens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
44 ::F Temps are finally dropping. This is the coolest morning we've had since spring. It was time to burn up the mound of pistachio shells that had been accumulating since then. I put on a couple 5" splits, separated about 4" with 1/8th SuperCedar on the shells in between, then some kindling criss-crossed over the SC. Fired that up and in about 5 minutes had a nice starter fire. I then put one 4" fir split diagonally across the center of the flame and let that go with air open for about 7 minutes. The fire was burning robustly as I turned down the air to about 25%. Secondaries started right up. The stove started cruising at 450F, now up to 525F with a good clean burn. T

All in all a pretty uneventful start to the season. There's just a little whiff of dust burning off. This has to be one of the easiest season starts I have experienced. Dry wood rules.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Sounds like a good start to the season. Saturday mornings are great for a fire. I must admit my first burn is often a bit clumsy and less than smooth, but always enjoyable.

I've been building tepees with kindling and splits this year, as opposed to my usual modified top down method.

That's what I like....uneventful!

Agreed. I usually start first fires on the weekends. I like to be able to watch it throughout the burn. Now delightfully, everyday is a weekend!

Reactions: 7acres
Sounds like a good start to the season. Saturday mornings are great for a fire. I must admit my first burn is often a bit clumsy and less than smooth, but always enjoyable.

I've been building tepees with kindling and splits this year, as opposed to my usual modified top down method.
Tepees eh? I'll have to try that for fun. I always up for something different.

Looking forward to those cold nights coming at the end of the week courtesy of that big storm in Alaska. Draft should be great!

Looks like real winter will be hitting the upper mid-west states soon. We fortunately appear to be dodging that bullet, but there is a chance of first frost this week.

Here around St. Louis, Tuesday its supposed to be high 60's then Tuesday night it's supposed to drop to 27 degrees. Where I live that means 23/24.

So it begins...

Tuesday night here it will be single digits below zero. Doesn't look like the wind will be blowing so that is a good thing.

Looks like real winter will be hitting the upper mid-west states soon. We fortunately appear to be dodging that bullet, but there is a chance of first frost this week.
Frost, that was weeks ago. We had snow showers yesterday.

Yes, this has been a warm fall here so far and a continuation of a record warm year so far.

Yes, this has been a warm fall here so far and a continuation of a record warm year so far.
We were all frosted this morning bg. Mid 30s but white roofs and crunchy grass. Really nice day.

Twas a nice day. We bottomed out at 45F thanks to the tempering effect of Puget Sound and lower altitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.