The beast is getting hungry,,,,come on winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Cannot belive I am saying this but I am looking at my stove tonight sitting there all quiet and bored and I am thinking "COME ON WINTER BRING IT ON" give us your best shot....I need the beast to breath fire again...anyone else with this same affliction?

just open the windows and doors and fire her up! I have a fire ring down by the creek for these kinds of times :)

Hell no mate. I am still waiting on Summer. Our winters are long cold and windy, the further off the better.

75 degrees, 24C to you blokes, on Christmas day would be just fine with me. My romance with burning waned a long time ago. :lol:

91°F & 12% RH @ 7:00PM. If it keeps up like this, all my firewood's gonna dry up and turn to sawdust before winter ever gets here. Might have to start hosing it down to keep the MC above about 12% or so. :lol: Rick

Just kidding, Neil. The drier the better. Rick

kingfisher said:
I can't wait to use my new regency. almost fired it up today.

Do it. I cannot allow a new stove or chimney component in the house without a test run. More than once my wife has said "Yeah I know, it's August but you are firing that sucker up. I'll be on the deck. Go for it.".

Later she always says the smoke smelled good.

If I lit a fire in our woodstove right now, my wife would club me into unconsciousness with a split, and have me carted off to the funny farm. %-P Rick

fossil said:
If I lit a fire in our woodstove right now, my wife would club me into unconsciousness with a split, and have me carted off to the funny farm. %-P Rick

Again? ;-P

can't do it... every stick i burn now is one i won't be able to burn when it counts.

summit said:
can't do it... every stick i burn now is one i won't be able to burn when it counts.

The true sign that you have been doing this for awhile. Those early fun fires in September mean breaking up the furniture in March. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Again? ;-P

Yeah. No matter how many times she calls them to take me away, I always seem to find my way back eventually...much to her everlasting chagrin. I'd just go someplace else, but I like to irritate her. :coolsmirk: Rick

BrotherBart said:
summit said:

The true sign that you have been doing this for awhile. Those early fun fires in September mean breaking up the furniture in March. :lol:

i have been down that road.. first full year we burned wood; running the damn thing in late august/early sept; ran outta firewood in late feb, and was cutting up pallets from the warehouse for fuel.. it sucks, and i'll never do it again; especially w/ 160 acres of trees. (I also started cutting more than 2-3 cord for a winter after that) 8 yrs and 3 stoves later, i think i got her perfected.

summit said:
i have been down that road.. first full year we burned wood; running the damn thing in late august/early sept; ran outta firewood in late feb, and was cutting up pallets from the warehouse for fuel.. it sucks, and i'll never do it again; especially w/ 160 acres of trees. (I also started cutting more than 2-3 cord for a winter after that) 8 yrs and 3 stoves later, i think i got her perfected.

For sure. I don't even wanna think about how many times I was out there in the woods cutting snow covered wet stuff and standing the splits next to the insert trying to dry them out enough that they could burn like crap and coat the flue tiles.

After cutting two years ahead I got surprised by the new stove only needing three cords a year to heat the joint. Used to go through five to six cords of the "not so ready" stuff a year in the old hoss. Still miss that old stove though. I could set an all night burn in ten minutes after twenty years of doing it. Takes me two hours to figure this sucker is settled in for the night.

kingfisher said:
I can't wait to use my new regency. almost fired it up today.

If that stove is brand new... do yourself a favor and fire it up a couple times while you can still open the windows to let the stink out.

You'll probably still get a little stink throughout the winter each time you reach a new high temperature, but you'll get the bulk of the stick over with.

You'll want to find a cool evening/night to try it though. The warmer and more humid it is, the worse the chimney will draw.

-SF

ya thats what I was planning on doing. The way this weather has been I could almost burn it today

I installed my new Fireview in late May. We had a couple small burns, but I'm dying to crank it up and see what it can do. I've been burning the old Franklin smoke dragon outside to ease some of the anticipation.

My new Fireview should be all hooked up in about 2 weeks. Give another week after that at the long side for inspection to be done, then I'll be cleared to do the initial burns... So, that means it will be about Aug 12 when all will be ready. Normally I would think it insane that it would even be possible I could consider a burn around then, but given the summer we've had so far I wonder just how long I will have to wait before doing those first few fires.

Then again - once I do the first few fires, will I really want to let the stove cool down again? Hmmmm.....

Slow1 said:
My new Fireview should be all hooked up in about 2 weeks. Give another week after that at the long side for inspection to be done, then I'll be cleared to do the initial burns... So, that means it will be about Aug 12 when all will be ready. Normally I would think it insane that it would even be possible I could consider a burn around then, but given the summer we've had so far I wonder just how long I will have to wait before doing those first few fires.

Then again - once I do the first few fires, will I really want to let the stove cool down again? Hmmmm.....

The way people talk about cat and soapstone stoves, the burn-in load should last until October and the stove won't cool off until January. :shut:

BrotherBart said:
Slow1 said:

The way people talk about cat and soapstone stoves, the burn-in load should last until October and the stove won't cool off until January. :shut:

That's why I just posted all but one load of my wood on CL, I figure I don't need all that piled up annoying the neighbors any more, right? I'll keep about 20 pieces laying about for decoration just like they do on those pretty displays of course :)

hate to dissapoint but here on the east coast will be a mild winter.........el nino is starting to kick up and the N.A.O. doesnt look likt its in our favor......

Ya know - the first year I had a new snowblower it didn't snow. My wife said "see what a waste" - My answer was "well, I bought the snowblower so that I wouldn't have to shovel snow - it seems that it worked so either way I'm happy"... As long as we're not cold I'm going to be happy eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.