The Best 40cc saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Looking for a 40cc saw 14-16in bar weight and power being the most important issue.any thoughts?????

I have an echo cs-400 which is right at 40cc. I've had it for 1/2 year and so far am very satisfied. Starts easily and lots of power, even when I bury the bar. Also very fuel efficient. I run it with a 16" bar which I put on right away, so I can't comment on how it runs with the 18" bar it comes with. I tached it at both idle and WOT the other day and it's within the specs given in the owner's manual. The carb settings are still what they were new (I haven't tweaked them at all) and other than the 16" bar I am running the saw stock (no muffler mods, etc).

wayneg said:
I have an echo cs-400 which is right at 40cc. I've had it for 1/2 year and so far am very satisfied. Starts easily and lots of power, even when I bury the bar. Also very fuel efficient. I run it with a 16" bar which I put on right away, so I can't comment on how it runs with the 18" bar it comes with. I tached it at both idle and WOT the other day and it's within the specs given in the owner's manual. The carb settings are still what they were new (I haven't tweaked them at all) and other than the 16" bar I am running the saw stock (no muffler mods, etc).
Did you buy it through baileys

I was going to suggest the cs-400....

You could get them on ebay for 200 bucks for a while.....

What a steal.

sl7vk said:
I was going to suggest the cs-400....

You could get them on ebay for 200 bucks for a while.....

What a steal.
Iam feeling it! weight power and a good price great name, these things havent been out very long.

Actually I did buy my cs-400 off of Ebay. Last February at a Buy It Now price of $199. Shipping was $30 so the total was $229, which I was very happy with.

Here the other saw Iam looking at anyone use this one Solo Model 637 Chainsaw top handle 40cc?

smokinj said:
Here the other saw Iam looking at anyone use this one Solo Model 637 Chainsaw top handle 40cc?

No, but I've also heard great things about the

Dolmar 401
Makita dcs401....

Same saw, different badging....

Great saws, and you can get either for about 250.....

Solo makes great saws, but I've never heard of the 637 per say....

sl7vk said:
smokinj said:

Dolmar 401
Makita dcs401....

i cant seem to find anywhere to get the dolmers/makita

smokinj said:
Looking for a 40cc saw 14-16in bar weight and power being the most important issue.any thoughts?????

For my small saws, I have an Echo CS-3450 and a CS-400. Both are fantastic little saws.

I don't tend to keep up wth the "newest" stuff - so there may be other good small saws. But, I'll say this. I've worked as a tree surgeon, logger, and a mechanic back to the late 60s. So, I've been through the changes - from old direct-drive and gear-drive Homelites and McCullochs, to foreign stuff like Stihl, Husky, Hoe, Sachs, etc. - on to present. Early 70s, I worked for one of the first USA Stihl dealers. We also sold Echo (Kiortiz Co.) but they didn't have chainsaws then - just backpack blowers and weedeaters. Stihl made some great saws - small and large.

Problem is now - many name brand companies known for quality - lowered their standards and sell some genuine crap. With Stihl, it started with saws like the 010. 015 and 020 were high quality, then the 010 and 011 came out and both were junk. Husky is doing the same now, and many saws have plastic crankcases.

I've found these little Echos to be fantastic, very rugged saws.
With my bigger saws, I'm still using a few Stihls from the early 70s to mid 80s. An S10, 040, 041, 056 Super, 090 Lightning, etc. But, just recently - when I was lacking repair parts for my 056 Super - I decided to buy a new, mid-sized, "backup" saw. I looked around and found a pretty good buy on a Makita (Dolmar). A DSC6401 with three chains for $530 (a 64 cc saw).
I'm very impressed with it. This 64 cc saw cuts like my 94 cc Stihl and is lighter. All metal crankase with full ball bearing support. If the smaller Dolmars are built as good, they also might be excellent buys.

I also recommend the echo CS-400 as well... I have had mine for a year and a half and it is my go-to saw... Unless I'm cutting something real big my Stihl MS361 stays in the case... The little echo is fabulous... I have never had a saw that starts on the first (sometimes it takes 2) pull every time hot or cold... This thing is very reliable, light enough to limb with all day too... I love my echo... It has some very neat features as well, like a pleated automotive style air filter (looks like a miniature K&N;) and tool-less access cover removal... I can't say enough about the little echo... Allot of people (especially on the arborist site) slam echo, but is been awesome to me... No the most powerful saw out there but if you keep your good quality chain (I use Oregon Super 70 Pro Chain) and keep it sharp it can cut red oak, white oak, hickory whatever firewood you want to tackle all day without a glitch...

I swear the next saw i buy will be the 5100,I probaly need a lighter saw to have with me and your reviews of the 5100 never change.I hope it can stacks as well as it cuts!lol[/quote]

Hey Smokinj,

I just had to dig this up........

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
I swear the next saw i buy will be the 5100,I probaly need a lighter saw to have with me and your reviews of the 5100 never change.I hope it can stacks as well as it cuts!lol

Hey Smokinj,

WoodButcher[/quote]
I knew you would rember that two problems the 5100 is bigger than i want or need second the dolmer i cant find it anywhere. The reason for the saw is 3 malberry trees and the small limbs in these trees are more than I have every had to deal with! With that said a 35-40 cc saw is where i need to be at,and do you know where i can purchase a dolmer on ther site they have a nice top handle saw?

sl7vk said:
smokinj said:

Dolmar 401
Makita dcs401....

Yes the 401 looks right on as well to me, haveing problems finding dolmers

I'll echo the same opinions of the Echo CS-400 :p

Been a great saw for me as well. I've been very impressed and think they have come a long way in their design lately. The last time I was out blocking wood it cut for an hour on a tank of gas(14oz) very easy on gas. Got mine too off Ebay for $210 shipped. One thing though if you buy it off Ebay if you want to register it make sure you list as getting as a gift and don't know where you bought it. In order for a warranty to be honored it has to be bought through one of their dealers as they don't allow internet sales just like Stihl & Husky and some others. Bailey's lists them but you can't buy one, at least we couldn't.

Get some good pro chain though, Woodsman Pro from Bailey's ran me $24 for 2 loops shipped to my door. Its real good chain made by Carlton here in the US.

One other thing I like about Echo. Its made in Illinois,except the engine is which shipped in from Japan. Nothing wrong with that either after all Honda motors are great motors. Besides Husky is from Sweden and Stihl from Germany.

Everyone seems to be recommending the echo, but I'm going to go the opposite... I have a husky 142 (42cc) and I love it. It's light and performs great. I downsized the bar to a 14 and got rid of the husky safety chain in favor of a stihl non safety chain and it cuts like a dream. I mostly limb with it and fell some 8-12" maples and cherrys on occasion. Last week I even fell, limbed and bucked a 22" maple and she just smiled and kept on cutting! for the $199 pricetag, I would say she is a good saw.

CowboyAndy said:
Everyone seems to be recommending the echo, but I'm going to go the opposite... I have a husky 142 (42cc) and I love it.

I don't think you're going opposite - just different and a bit cheaper. I know of many small saws that run great - but some will last much longer than others. Your Husky has a cheap plastic crankcase and can't take being run for long periods of time. I.e., it's a part-time use saw talored mostly for homeowners. The Echo is more durable and made for professional use - and has a metal crankcase that can endure being run all day, every day, if needed.

smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
I swear the next saw i buy will be the 5100,I probaly need a lighter saw to have with me and your reviews of the 5100 never change.I hope it can stacks as well as it cuts!lol

Hey Smokinj,

WoodButcher
I knew you would rember that two problems the 5100 is bigger than i want or need second the dolmer i cant find it anywhere. The reason for the saw is 3 malberry trees and the small limbs in these trees are more than I have every had to deal with! With that said a 35-40 cc saw is where i need to be at,and do you know where i can purchase a dolmer on ther site they have a nice top handle saw?[/quote]

Yeah, just getting this thread stirred up abit like a fox in the coop....My borther in law up in Maine sports an Echo...it's a good saw

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

Hey Smokinj,

WoodButcher
I knew you would rember that two problems the 5100 is bigger than i want or need second the dolmer i cant find it anywhere. The reason for the saw is 3 malberry trees and the small limbs in these trees are more than I have every had to deal with! With that said a 35-40 cc saw is where i need to be at,and do you know where i can purchase a dolmer on ther site they have a nice top handle saw?

Yeah, just getting this thread stirred up abit like a fox in the coop....My borther in law up in Maine sports an Echo...it's a good saw

WoodButcher[/quote]
I would gofore the dolmer if a could find aplace to buy one that 401 like mention would be at the top of my short list

smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
smokinj said:
WOODBUTCHER said:

Hey Smokinj,

WoodButcher

WoodButcher
I would gofore the dolmer if a could find aplace to buy one that 401 like mention would be at the top of my short list[/quote]

www.amickssuperstore.com

You can buy Dolmar's there. Just email or call them and they'll ship one to you.

Ok here the short list 1.Dolmer 401(249.00) 2.echo 360T(289.00) 3.echo 400(230.00)

I have the Echo 440 To me its powerful , starts easy, . I think its a little heavy , but I m an office ass 44 yo . I am afraid of it I wear chaps boots gloves . I have cut some big oaks . Had it for 2 years .
I like it , like the air filter also . Mine has the 18 in bar . Replaced the chain after reading here about cutting what a difference.
Paid around 3 i think , so far so good JM

Would have to agree with smokinj. I settled on the Dolmar after looking at Stihl, Husky, Efco, and Echo. The same dealer had the Echo and Dolmar. Didn't look at Jonsered or Redmax. I really like the Efco, too. But it may be harder to find a dealer for them than the other brands including Dolmar. I think the Echo or Dolmar are just pretty well built, and either would serve you well.

I settled on Dolmar too... Though I bought the 510 (50cc)

I wouldn't be afraid of Echo... Echo is a division of Kioritz.... They made all the John Deere snowmobile engines in the 70s.... Much better than the Kawasucky powerplants JD went to in 80......

Status
Not open for further replies.