The Best Chains??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
inboard clutch? What are you talking about with clutches? Cars have clutches, not saws, right? Long bars? You mean a 20" bar right? They don't can't make them much bigger than that, they would flex to much!!! I tell you, the wild thing is a beast!!!

Earth,

Wouldn't you have to get the spiked hair do like Charlie Sheen had in that movie where he played the pitcher on the baseball team...... "wild thing" you make my wood sing!

I would but I cut my hair too short.

Huh? What does have a haircut have to do with a chainsaw?

Yogi, I might suggest these couple of websites to review, if you are interested in some of the models that you will hear about in the wonderful world of hearth.com. And welcome to the forum.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

Oh, and BB the reason I was asking about HP was to do a fair comparison of the Wild Thing to the different models of husky and stihl saws (both websites list HP for all of their models). I have a friend that has a Wild thing, and lets just say.... he wouldn't leave my MS290 alone.

:eek:hh: .....step away from my MS290, and no one will get hurt.... %-P (done in my best Clint Eastwood voice).

earthharvester said:
NW Fuels said:
Alot of our Maple is 2-3 foot across. 28" bars. We have been ordering rolls of it for 29 years now. Never thought of changing.
Thomas
I run the same skip tooth chain also even on shorter bars to. Cuts fast and fast to fix if you hit something.

Ok, I hear about this, what is this skip chain? What do you mean, does it skip off the bar all the time?

Vintage 181 said:
Yogi said:
Someone please, what the heck is this 3120 yo are talking about??? What does a motorcyle have to do with trimming trees???

It is the largest chainsaw that Husky makes.. off the top of my head believe it is around 120cc's...

The guy in my avatar (not me) is using a 3120xp to fell that 44-inch black cherry veneer log. I did take the picture. They told me that the 23-foot log was worth $4,000 on the stump, and had the potential to yield more than twice that amount once sliced into veneer. They didn't take any chances. They hired a guy to top the tree before felling, to minimize the risk of it splitting when it hit the ground. It didn't.

As for chain, Oregon's new 325 50-gauge works great on my 346xp.

Hi YOgi,

I guess you are a little of a newbie on saws. Check both the Husqvarna (husky) and stihl website. You will learn anything you need to know. skip chains is something for the more pro oriented wood cutters.

I would stick with some nice homeowner or semipro model that you can handle with easy. Get sharp chains, protective gear, files, wood vise, timberjack, pulp hook, and the proper bar oil and mixed fuel. The rest is easy.

AND READ YOU MANUAL A LOT!!!!

Carpniels

PS> I got a wood cutting manual that explains how to use a chain saw properly and how to cut, buck and limb safely. That is the most reread book in my house. It is essential for me to re read so I remember all the important details about safety. I cannot afford to make a mistake with a chainsaw!! neither can you. Ask Brotherbart.

Status
Not open for further replies.