The best maul for splitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there actually is a few NEAR consensus' on this issue, from what I've read:
1. A 16# Monster Maul will split just about anything in 1 swing if you can/want to swing it
2. An 8# maul will split MOST stuff the MM will for less effort
3. A 6# will do NEARLY the job of an 8# for less effort
4. A 4 1/2# Fiskars splits like a bigger maul for less effort
5. You really can split with a light axe if you learn how (& take more swings)
6. Most folks are great at explaining why their choice is THE BEST. Maul folks say the Fiskars is too light, short & dangerous; Fiskars folks say mauls are too heavy, slow & hard on the body.

I have used axes, mauls & fiskars & I do think the short handle & sharp edge of the Fiskars make it more dangerous, but you have to balance that with the much less stress on your body from a bigger maul.

I've never hit myself with a maul and I don't see doing it in the future. I'm also a wood carver so I keep very sharp tools. With very sharp tools comes the extra caution needed to save myself trips to the emergency room.

I had an old curved handle axe that I split with and it was a favorite.
Too long ago and really can't say it was better or worse, but I never had to think about my hands being in the right place or holding it 'right'. That curved handle just had a 'feel' to it when you had it in your hands right.

Same with an old antique curved handle scythe. Never got to actually use it a lot, but compared to these new straight handle scythes and grass whips no way could I use these all day if I had to, like that old tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.