1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Best Things About Burning Outside In The Summer...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrotherBart, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Diane and BrowningBAR, here is a CRUDE drawing of my firepit dimensions. All measurements are INSIDE dimensions. You can make your pit to your preference, but this one suits us fine, especially the cooking aspects of it. We use it several times a week!

firepit measurements.png
    DexterDay likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I was gonna make one this coming weekend. Was gonna be a standard circle of rocks........

Not now... Gonna be a replica of yours Scotty. I love it. Firepit area will be a little larger. But cooking area will stay the same dimensions.

Thanks for the drawing and pics... Always something new on Hearth. One of the highest forms of compliment, is copying. ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

hey on a good note, it has been tested (and tested HARD) and you know it works good. You guys (and gals) are all welcome to steal my design on one condition.......I WANNA SEE IT WHEN YOU ARE DONE. That's all I ask. Now get to work! :p
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Deal.... I love to take pics.

Thanks again Scotty
    ScotO likes this.
  5. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    Scotty, what kind of stone did you use. I had made one of limestone when I bought my house and everyonce in a while one would explode:oops: It did make for interesting bon fire nights
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

Mine looks alot like an old 55 gal drum with the top cut off. ;)

7. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    thanks for the pics again and the drawing showing the dimensions. Looks great. Someone asked about exploding rocks. I have heard of this. We live near the Deerfield river and people have been known to use river rocks in their firepits. They do explode because they have been holding water. Soapstone also may hold water. May be best to use rocks that have been on land for quite awhile. Looks like your rocks Scotty are some type of shale or granite.

8. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    I am going to stake this one out and see if I can did down a foot in this rocky new england soil
    ScotO likes this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

My stone is all mountain fieldstone (sandstone), never had any explode. Rocks taken out of a water source (stream, pond, swampy area, etc.) are a no-no. They can explode. Post pics of your project when you get it done!
  10. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Good thing about burning outside? Burning all the unsplittables and uglies that wont stack in my wood piles or fit in the stove, debugging the yard, the smell of a campfire, good times with friends..

My pit is New England field stone pulled from old stone walls, I got a half pallet of it at the local quarry for 100$ or so. I have yet to have any explode on me or even crack and i have had some HOT fires in it which were then extiguished with cold hose water. So far so good.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    corey21 and ScotO like this.
  11. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Burnig outside....I consider it camping for old people, all the fun and I get to sleep in my own bed. Gets rid of the uglies and keeps the mosquitos at bay.
    ScotO and ColdNH like this.
  12. JeffRey30747

JeffRey30747 Member

Loc:
    NW GA USA
    or little kids (like mine) who get all whiny and want to go sleep in their own beds once the sun goes down. :)
  13. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Mine are in the "camping in the yard" stage. I get to enjoy the "camping" and my bed, while they tent it.
    ScotO likes this.
  14. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We got four inches of rain during the night last night. All of my outside burning wood may be dry enough to burn by July 4th. :mad: Nasty wet and more on the way. Ah, Spring in Northern Virginia. We were five inches behind for the year and made it up in 16 hours.
  15. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We had a nasty storm just north of us here, I was out back splittin up some norway maple and it got really black out. Kept going waiting for the rain to hit, but it missed us. Just off and on showers the past couple days. Gotta love spring!
  16. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    We got a 40 inch snowfall last night. Without the snow.
    ScotO likes this.
  17. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Just think of this as another reason why burning outside is great. gasoline can get wood burning no matter how wet!
  18. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    I use used motor oil/gas mixed about 4 to 1. Lights like charcoal lighter fluid, burns much longer, less $$.
  19. StoveWannabe

StoveWannabe Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    We love to start a fire, make smores and watch the kids run around in the firelight while they play with glow sticks and chase firefly's.
    Sticky marshmallow and chocolate on their faces is the best. Box of baby wipes near by is a most.
  20. scotsman

scotsman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Texas
    Hey, BB! Fax us about half of all that "snow" you're getting! We can sure use it. The moisture content on our water is down to about 5%, so we need lots more of it.
  21. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    New thread entitled "Weenie Roast." ==c

Here's "Ike." We dug the basic hole to heat up water when the power went out during Hurricane Ike; Lovely and talented wife created the rock border in stages, later on.

001-28.jpg
    corey21 and ScotO like this.
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    There are much better and safer alternatives to gasoline . . . as for me I like using cardboard . . . you have a few cardboard boxes and you can get a stack of wet, green brush burning during a rain storm . . . and don't have to worry about those pesky 2nd and 3rd degree burns that sometimes occur with folks using gasoline.
  23. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    An outlet to satisfy my addiction ;)
  24. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    I was being facetious, at 4 bucks a gallon and the risk of lighting myself on fire its not worth using gas. If i do tend to have very wet wood Ill usually start the fire with some scrap palette and lighter fluid.
  25. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Actually tried some old gasoline on the wet stuff in the old Sierra in the south 40 with wet wood tonight. Right hand is now hairless again just like in burning season. And the wood didn't burn. :confused:

But the blast of burning vapors out of the open door was a real good demonstration of why you should never use liquid fuel to light a stove in your house.

Yes, I knew what was going to happen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.