The Bikini Observations and Their Significance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Not what you might think... if you're looking for photos of ladies on the beach.

Bikini Observations and Their Significance
by Haradan Pratt and Arthur van Dyck
Official United States Scientific Observers

I came across this interesting paper, while surfing a 1947 edition of Electrical Communication, looking for a particular paper. It discusses the testing of nuclear bombs, which took place at Bikini Island, 1946. Some of the recent threads here in the Green Room discussing nuclear power, leaking nuclear plants, and the effects of radiation, made me think some of you might find this historical perspective interesting. Of course, in 1946-47, they were just beginning to realize some of the dangers of radiation poisoning, etc.

edit - I tried to upload the file (I had PDF'd just the pages of interest), but it was too large. You'll have to view it at this link. Sorry it is a large file.

We know a lot more now. There won't be any more open air testing, and the mistakes of Bikini (ignorance in regard to atom cross sections and their effects on potential payload) will never be repeated. People are still dying in coal mines to keep the lights on for the rest of us.

That won't stop us from finding another way to kill ourselves. Have you guys seen the sun lately? It's hot!

95+ since Saturday here,99 past 2 days.100 on Friday if we're lucky it might be 85 on Labor Day.Gonna have to dig out my parka then.

My senior at work was a nuclear bomb tech in service in the 1950's, and knew some of the guys positioned as witnesses for some of the early tests in the 1940's. One guy said that they were told to cover their eyes with their hand, on queue, and that he could see the bones in his hand during the blast.

The "Biggest Bomb" episode of PBS' "Secrets of the Dead" is a good watch related to this. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/episodes/the-world’s-biggest-bomb-watch-the-full-episode/863/
As BTUser alluded to, the yield of one bomb was well above what was predicted and those monitoring the blast nearby in a bunker ended up escaping the island via helicopter while wearing no more than standard clothing.

We had a couple of Ooops moments like that... Castle Bravo Expected to be 6MT. It went off at 15 :eek: One of the later tests Castle Romeo was off a similar amount - 11 vs. 4 predicted

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Castle.html

Lot of info at that link bout that "biggest bomb" also - The Tsar Bomba. Speaking of nasty effects, I wonder what happened to the aircrew that dropped it.

Whats interesting is that some of the islands are not even there anymore (below is nearby Eniwetak Atoll , site of Ivy Mike - the first H bomb)

Elugel.jpg

And even stranger Bikini Atoll itself is now a tourist destination - there is a hotel there and its a popular diving spot to scuba on the ships that where sunk in the Hardtack tests.

Meanwhile the native populations that where displaces still cant go back to their home island.

All I know is that when I hear a Western PA radio station doing their public advertising about the free radiation pill dispensing to residents in Beaver County, it scares the crap out of me.

Lot of info at that link bout that "biggest bomb" also - The Tsar Bomba. Speaking of nasty effects, I wonder what happened to the aircrew that dropped it.

Plenty of sites stating the crew chief (Major Durnovtsev) died in 1976, at age 53... but none I have found that state cause of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.