The Blaze King Performance Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded up 54lbs of oak, ash and silver maple around 9PM. Probably the most I've filled it with so far this year. Couldn't fit much more unless I was real creative. :lol: Low is supposed to be around 16*, we usually get a couple degree's cooler than what is posted on the weather sites for our area. Hallway with the t-stat is 70*, I really need to get a thermometer for the stove room. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0284_5623.jpg
    DSC_0284_5623.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 614
I'd give you real creative for that one. I just did the same thing as we're headed for negatives and it is blowing 25+ steady with much higher gusts.

Just dropped 87 pounds of 3 year dried in and should be able to burn it in 12 hours going wide open. Puts it over 50k/hr for the entire burn. That is a sweet burn rate without having to get up in the middle of the night. The beauty of the BK is the same stove that can do that in January when it is cold and blowing can also get fully loaded October 1st and not overheat the house.

Attachments

• 011312 evening load.jpg
    011312 evening load.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 570
rdust said:
Loaded up 54lbs of oak, ash and silver maple around 9PM. Probably the most I've filled it with so far this year. Couldn't fit much more unless I was real creative. :lol: Low is supposed to be around 16*, we usually get a couple degree's cooler than what is posted on the weather sites for our area. Hallway with the t-stat is 70*, I really need to get a thermometer for the stove room. :)

Time 12:45am
Outside temp 19
Inside Hallway temp 70
Stove top 53x above the cat
t-stat 1.75, fans on low
Time for bed.....

rdust said:
richg said:
Let me get this straight....you loaded your stove at 7:30 in the morning, and at 11:00 PM that night it was at 400 degrees? If that's the case, I'm gonna throw my Quad into the garbage and get me a Princess. right now, my Quad is struggling mightily with a load of 15-month cut/split/stacked hickory and I got no better wood to burn than that.

Correct, but I think I need to clarify it a little. The stove was on 1.5(pretty low burn) and had a stove top around 340* around 7:30pm which was 12 hours later, I moved the coals into the middle and turned the t-stat up to 2.5 the temp climbed to 400* and held steady there from 7:30pm to around 11pm when I reloaded. This was also on a load of 3 year seasoned silver maple.

I want a Blaze King.

rdust said:
rdust said:

Time 12:45am
Outside temp 19
Inside Hallway temp 70
Stove top 53x above the cat
t-stat 1.75, fans on low
Time for bed.....

Time 6:55am
Outside temp 17
Inside Hallway temp 69
Stove top 350
t-stat 1.75 fans on low

Wife moved the coals into the middle, turned the stove up to 3.5, warmed stove up for 10 minutes, turned it back down to 2 with fans on, stop top @430.

Time 10am
Outside temp 18
Inside Hallway temp 70
Stove top 350
t-stat on 2 fans on low

Time 11:15am
Outside temp 18
Inside hallway temp 70
Stove room 73(grabbed the thermometer from the kids rooms)
Stove top 30x
t-stat on 2 fans on low

I turned the fans off and stove down to 1 at this point, I wanted the room to cool off a little more before I reloaded.

Time 12:00 pm
Outside temp 20
Inside Hallway temp 69
Stove room temp 72
Stove top 275
t-stat on 1 fans off
Reloaded with chunks and uglies

This stove continues to impress me, when I bought this stove I thought my house would need a 500* stove top to keep meaningful heat in the house when it was cold. I find with this stove since you don't experience the temp swings you don't need a big stove top number to keep the place warm once it's already there. 15 hours of meaningful heat with temps in the teens is more than I ever expected when I bought it.

This stove continues to impress me, when I bought this stove I thought my house would need a 500* stove top to keep meaningful heat in the house when it was cold. I find with this stove since you don't experience the temp swings you don't need a big stove top number to keep the place warm once it's already there. 15 hours of meaningful heat with temps in the teens is more than I ever expected when I bought it.

You said it better then I could!
That constant even heat and keeping your house warm throughout the cycle is the magic if you will..lol.

Loaded up around 10 pm we'll see how it goes tonight, current temp is 13 that's about the coldest we've had to deal with so far this season. I should have loaded up earlier tonight, I was playing around and forgot about it until I realized I was getting a little chilly. I need to clean up the glass so I'll burn it hot for an hour or so to get the temps back where I like them.

How can yall rake nothin but "coals" to the center, turn the stat up an have the stove top temp climb like that? Is it a cat thing or what :) I'm amazed at that

CodyWayne718 said:
How can yall rake nothin but "coals" to the center, turn the stat up an have the stove top temp climb like that? Is it a cat thing or what :) I'm amazed at that

It holds a lot of coals!
I can easily bring my stove top up to 400f for 3 or 4 maybe even 5hours on full intake air.
Just did it tonight.
Part of the magic! lol

I've read a lot of glowing reports from happy Blazeking owners. HOWEVER>>>
A pound of wood in ideal condtions, very dry with great effiiency on burning has, I believe, the potential to produce about 7000 BTUs of heat. If one loaded 100 pounds of wood into one's stove, one has an absolute limit of 100 x 7000 = 700,000BTUs from the load. Over a 24 hour burn that computes to an absolute limit of 29,000 BTUs per hour, assuming 0 % water and 100% efficiency, neither of which can occur. Over a 40 hour burn one get a limit of 17,500 BTUs per hour (again, real BTUs achieved much lower even in a very efficient stove). This is perhaps enough heat for mild weather, but nowhere near enough in a large home for northern winters. If one wants an output of 42000 BTUs average per hour, one would have an absolute limit of slightly less than 17 hours burn cycle ---IN IDEAL conditions.

How long is the real burn cycle in these stoves in deep winter conditions? How heavy a load can these stoves take? I'm going to put a scale near my Progress Hybrid and weigh my wood for the next week or two. I'm wondering if we may be dealing with much heavier ironwood, oak, locust, maple etc
than is used in the tables that list BTU potential. Surely there is a difference in density and weight of these species depending where and how they are grown. I am on limestone, and my soil, although extraordinarily rich, is very shallow---rock down only a few inches. Trees grow very slowly and have dense growth rings. My woods have been allowed to age naturally and have innumerable trees of all sizes, ranging up to a few old massive maples many hundreds of years old. The trees have a lot of competition for nutrients.

Maybe many of you are burning really dense wood to achieve long burn cycles with high heat output?

rideau said:
Maybe many of you are burning really dense wood to achieve long burn cycles with high heat output?

Because of my heat load, I can't keep up without the good stuff in weather like we have had recently. It takes 80-100 pounds of wood every 12 hours to get it done. The stove is cranking to burn that much wood in that period of time. It also takes high quality wood to get 100 pounds of wood in the stove at a time, something I don't have a ton of. There is no way that I would waste that fuel on a 40 hour burn in October other than the one time after I bought the stove to see if the marketing was BS or not. The punk, junk and uglies have no problem going 24 in those conditions. Once a day loads are more than adequate for me.

I load my stove not entirely full every 12 to 16 hours on average and we stay plenty warm. When it gets real cold, I will get anal and weigh a load and see.As I mentioned previously if it gets no better than this I'm happy. How much it will hold and how long she'll burn,If I load him up with 90#>? I think 24 hours in cold weather could happen.

Well we're getting some colder weather here and this stove is just flat out a bad little lady. I loaded at 7:30am and it was in the teens, not sure how warm it got today but the temps dropped like a rock as the day went on. I got home at 7:30pm( met the wife and kid for dinner after work) with the temp at 9 °F I figured the house was going to be pretty chilly, I walked in the back door and felt the warm air hit me in the face. The stove room was 70 °F and 68 °F in the hallway leading to the stove. I turned the stove up when I walked in and moved the remaining wood to the middle, the stove top climbed into the 400 degree range and the room temps started to actually climb! The hallway has gained a degree along with the stove room.

After 12 hours and able to gain room temp back when it's single digit cold is just silly! As I've said before this stove is just stupid, silly, amazing!

Amount of wood left at 7:50pm :lol: Most people hope to have enough coals to relight at 12 hours + and this stove has full chunks in it! It's not even a 3 cubic foot stove people!(bragging I know but excited) :lol:

DSC_0301_5639.jpg

Temp at 8:30pm

DSC_0303_5640.jpg

Coals at 8:30pm

DSC_0306_5643.jpg

Stove top at 9:00pm

DSC_0307_5644.jpg

Picture of how my stove burns on "2" taken last night

DSC_0295_5633.jpg

richg said:
rdust said:
richg said:
Let me get this straight....you loaded your stove at 7:30 in the morning, and at 11:00 PM that night it was at 400 degrees? If that's the case, I'm gonna throw my Quad into the garbage and get me a Princess. right now, my Quad is struggling mightily with a load of 15-month cut/split/stacked hickory and I got no better wood to burn than that.

Correct, but I think I need to clarify it a little. The stove was on 1.5(pretty low burn) and had a stove top around 340* around 7:30pm which was 12 hours later, I moved the coals into the middle and turned the t-stat up to 2.5 the temp climbed to 400* and held steady there from 7:30pm to around 11pm when I reloaded. This was also on a load of 3 year seasoned silver maple.

I want a Blaze King.

+1 I just wish I didn't have 3 stoves already. If I'd known three yrs ago what I know now.

Oh and.. "My what clean glass you have" said Goldilocks

Looks like you could burn it a little hotter or burn less wood and still get those 12 hour burns. Impressive!

Todd said:
Looks like you could burn it a little hotter or burn less wood and still get those 12 hour burns. Impressive!

Yeah, I'm still trying to find that setting to keep the house at 70 while still having a 12 hour burn. This morning was a mixed load of cherry and oak, I'm getting ready to bring in some oak, cherry and hickory(my best stuff). Low of 7 according to accuweather but we'll end up a little lower out here in the sticks.

Hallway temp is back up to 70 degrees now.

Edit: Just checked weather.com they're saying 1 degree tonight, ouch!

rdust said:
Todd said:

Yeah, I'm still trying to find that setting to keep the house at 70 while still having a 12 hour burn. This morning was a mixed load of cherry and oak, I'm getting ready to bring in some oak, cherry and hickory(my best stuff). Low of 7 according to accuweather but we'll end up a little lower out here in the sticks.

Hallway temp is back up to 70 degrees now.

Edit: Just checked weather.com they're saying 1 degree tonight, ouch!

I used to wake up to 1/4 of the load left so I burn it a little hotter when I go to bed now.

jeff_t said:
weatherguy said:
You guys ever clean your combustor? The last two days mines been running funky, I used to turn it down to 1-1 1/2 at night and it would stay at about 3 oclock on the thermometer, last 2 days it been running cooler, down to about 12 oclock. The combustor's still glowing red so its working, Im wondering if it needs a good cleaning.

Any smoke coming out the chimney?
I think also that the set screw holding the coil in place on the probe has been known to loosen. Bypass closing fully? Gasket okay?
I'd be checking other things if this is something that happened overnight.

In the bolded, do you mean the tstat? The settings seem to be different to get the same burns Im used to but the stove is running aok other than that.

No, I meant the probe. It's not a set screw, a couple of nuts hold everything together. Somebody had one that was loose, and the dial was turning freely.

your stove has numbers for the tstat? my bk princess has low, a line, med, a line, and high

greythorn3 said:
your stove has numbers for the tstat? my bk princess has low, a line, med, a line, and high

Mine does, it's a different model than the one you have listed in your sig. Mine is a PEJ1006, I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but there must be or the model numbers would be the same.

Some BK magic.
No cord wood put in in over 15 hours.

You won't figure it out..lol.

Attachments

• temps 002.jpg
    temps 002.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 485
i think its just mines the older model, my princess cat has a 8" flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.