The boys unloading a cord of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Builds character.

I didn't see the whip in the photo. I supposed you shot the video and had it near you.

Rob H said:
Builds character.

I didn't see the whip in the photo. I supposed you shot the video and had it near you.

LOL No whip necessary, those two young men are great workers. I don't know what I'd do without them.

My two are 3 and 5 now. They help for about 20 minutes then they're off. They try hard though in that 20 minutes!

I can't believe you guys have no snow. They claim 50 states have snow. The world must be changing its axis.

Rob H said:
My two are 3 and 5 now. They help for about 20 minutes then they're off. They try hard though in that 20 minutes!

My almost 4 year old always wants to help carry firewood from the shed to the rack on our front porch. Helping usually lasts for about half a wheelbarrow, and then he's playing with something else. He did help me stack a 3/4 cord one time, kept him interested for about 2 hours straight. I rewarded him with his own pair of work gloves -- on which I wrote his name.

Good thing it isn't Oak. I don't think that truck could carry a full cord of Oak and the boys would be some tired lugging heavy Oak splits that big.

You need to let them drive the truck. Drop the splits closer instead of all that walking, then drive the truck ahead a few feet and repeat.

LLigetfa I actually just moved the truck forward before taking that video. And yeah, probably the only reason I get away with hauling a full truck load like that is because the stuff I cut has been standing dead for years and is already pretty much seasoned. It would be significantly heavier if it was green. A lighter load is just one of the many benefits of harvesting the standing dead trees we have around here.

golfandwoodnut said:
I can't believe you guys have no snow. They claim 50 states have snow. The world must be changing its axis.

Actually it was 49 states that either had snow on the ground or it was snowing. Only Hawaii was left out. For snow on the ground, almost 70% of the United states was covered.

"David Robinson, head of the Rutgers Global Snow Lab, said that 67.1% of the U.S. had snow cover on Friday morning, with the average depth a respectable 8 inches. Normally, the U.S. has about 40 - 50% snow coverage during the 2nd week of February. January had the 6th greatest snow cover in the 44-year record over the contiguous U.S., and December 2009 had the most snow cover of any December on record."

Carbon, we had 2 boys who also helped with the wood cutting, splitting and stacking. They worked hard and neither ever seemed to dread it. Actually, many times I found them out splitting wood when I figured they would be playing lazy. It was good for them and it helped me out when I had to work out away from home. Now they are grown men and I now work alone but don't mind at all. I look forward to time alone in the woods.

Doing quality job.
Very nice young men you have there.
Their dad, mentor & role model is doing a great job.
The food consumption, after that days work, for those young men will go up.
Nice video.

I'd like to recomend steel toes.

And get the wife involved. She'd be bound to bighten up the video.

I thought that it was normal to have snow on the high peeks of Hawaii? I'll have to check that.

Good for them and you. Keep them at it, hard work builds character and keeps the fat off. Most boys that age are too busy playing video games to help out around the house.

Rob H said:
What a coincidence. Mine are 21 and 23. They help for about 20 minutes (a week) and they're off too. They try real hard during that 20 minutes...to quit early. :roll:

Flatbedford said:
I thought that it was normal to have snow on the high peeks of Hawaii? I'll have to check that.

+1

My boys are willing to help, but they're only about half the size of Carbon_Liberator's, so big splits like those I'd have to unload myself.

i been teachin' my son the wood business help, and of course i got to do it backwards. he started out on processor at age 11 and now at age 13 i let him do it the "old" way. he say's he likes it better :sick: i say give him a few years at it , and he'll be back to the "new" way ;-)

th_FMGSFIRSTHANDSPLITLOAD008.jpg
th_FMGSFIRSTHANDSPLITLOAD006.jpg
th_bumpinknots055.jpg
th_CHECKPHOTOS076-1.jpg
th_FORSPLIT053.jpg

and yes,this comming spring 2010 he WILL have all the proper woodcuttin' gear !

Great pictures Fyrwoodguy. Good to see a young lad like that can run a chainsaw safely (he does have all his fingers right?). ;-P

I had my oldest boy on the chainsaw a bit last season, but he didn't have any gear either and that worried me. Been thinking I'll buy a set of chaps for him and one of those helmets with a face shield, then I can rest a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.