The Cape Cod is cracked! Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Do you have some pics you can post? I'm a little disappointed as this thing was highly recommended by you and others on this forum and I just spent $6K on the thing. Seems like you might get some consideration from these companies to hype stoves then switch to something else. Hope I'm wrong, but can't help but wonder why someone would switch stoves every year. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If I'm right, I'm still not mad as I made my own decision.
What are you insinuating here? Do you think I actually wanted this to happen?! You are crazy.

Not saying you wanted this to happen, but you didn't answer my question. Do you receive some type of compensation from manufacturers to talk about their stoves on here? I'm honestly curious. Can you explain why you switch stoves so often? I hope I'm wrong, but this is the internet. Like I said, I made my own decisions and take full responsibility if this thing is a lemon.

webby loved the cod and still does, i know cause i work with him every day and have for years.Hes a stove fanatic thats why he gets a new stove so often !

ive been joined for months i just happened to see your comment and i had to set this straight.Dont worry you didnt buy a lemon .

I just saw the Cape Cod burning at the Decathlon in DC. That is one heck of a wood stove.

Reactions: webby3650
Cape Cod isn't Travis Industries first cracking problem. I have a Lopi Liberty purchased in February 1997, and it wasn't in service but a couple months and the heating chambers in the back of the stove cracked at the welds. Been burning it that way since! They wanted me to send it back with me paying the shipping, but at the cost of the stove, shipping and just finishing up on a newly built house there was no way I could afford that.

I have replaced every component in that stove a few times already, except for the secondary burn pipes.

I like the stove, but wouldn't buy another from Travis Industries!

Craig

Every company makes lemons. I bought a Vermont Casting Encore 2 in 1 and everyone here is extremely wary of recommending this company anymore. Couldn't be more happy with the stove...but it could bugger up at some point. Who knows.

The measure of a stove company has always been how they handle a problem. Not if there is never a problem. Every line of stoves ever made has had a "whoops" one happen.

My first 30-NC had a factory defect and they replaced the stove. I have purchased two more of their stoves since then.

Reactions: raybonz
Not saying you wanted this to happen, but you didn't answer my question. Do you receive some type of compensation from manufacturers to talk about their stoves on here? I'm honestly curious. Can you explain why you switch stoves so often? I hope I'm wrong, but this is the internet. Like I said, I made my own decisions and take full responsibility if this thing is a lemon.
No I get no compensation at all. It only costs me money!
I do this because I love it, it's my passion and my career. If I can help someone along the way, even better. Would you rather I didn't post my problems, Only the positives?
I try my best to give an unbiased opinion on any stove I operate and would like to think I have helped a few people along the way.

webby3650 I highly doubt that if you were pimping Lopi stoves that you would have posted about finding that crack. >>

Do you receive some type of compensation from manufacturers to talk about their stoves on here?

What logic tells you that he is getting paid to tell you the stove cracked? Inquiring minds want to know.

Passion is sometimes confusing to those who don't have one. I do, so I take your word and apologize. You were helpful to me and, I hope, will continue to be to others on this board. I plan to monitor the Cod closely and hope Lopi will step up if there is a problem. If you market a stove at $3300, you better back it up.

Passion is sometimes confusing to those who don't have one. I do, so I take your word and apologize. You were helpful to me and, I hope, will continue to be to others on this board. I plan to monitor the Cod closely and hope Lopi will step up if there is a problem. If you market a stove at $3300, you better back it up.
Alot of it comes down to the dealer as well. Like the guy above with the cracked Liberty, that dealer should have eaten the shipping if Lopi wouldn't take care of it if that's what it takes to make him happy. A bad dealer can very easily make a bad name for a brand.

For the record, Lopi has taken care of every issue I've had with the Cape Cod.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
What logic tells you that he is getting paid to tell you the stove cracked? Inquiring minds want to know.
I never claimed logic, only curiosity concerning what seems illogical, namely, purchasing a new stove every year. Passion, by definition, can be completely illogical, but comes from a passionate heart.

I actually told the two Lopi engineers at the Decathlon about this crack. While watching their eyes when I told them. They were genuinely surprised to hear it. Making me highly doubt that it is happening a lot.

I never claimed logic, only curiosity concerning what seems illogical, namely, purchasing a new stove every year. Passion, by definition, can be completely illogical, but comes from a passionate heart.

I understand. But if you track us stove nuts on here that purchase a new stove every year or two it will drive you crazy. I have four in the basement that I need to get around to selling. None of them burned more that two or three seasons. And not one defect in any of'em. ;em

Edit to add: Look up posts from member Precaud. He is going into withdrawal because he hasn't bought another stove for a couple of years. ;lol

Reactions: raybonz
Keep in mind that I use 2 stoves to heat my house, so I will have 2 x more stoves at any given moment as a "normal" person.
It's taken some trial and error to figure out what stove will best fit. The terrible Leyden, and the cracked Cod were not part of my plan.

Like I said, I take a man at his word. I have no connection to the wood stove industry and will keep people posted on my individual results. After lugging this 700 lbs thing into the house, I darn sure don't want to remove it even if Travis "takes care of me."

Looking forward to your experiences with the stove. I am a steel stove guy and not a big fan of iron stoves, even though two of those in the basement are cast and impressed me, but that big Lopi impressed the heck out of me yesterday too. My bet is you are gonna love that sucker.

Keep us posted on how it does for ya.

Reactions: teutonicking
Will do. Webby, would you mind posting some pics so I know what to look for? Thanks again.

Cape Cod isn't Travis Industries first cracking problem. I have a Lopi Liberty purchased in February 1997, and it wasn't in service but a couple months and the heating chambers in the back of the stove cracked at the welds. Been burning it that way since! They wanted me to send it back with me paying the shipping, but at the cost of the stove, shipping and just finishing up on a newly built house there was no way I could afford that.

I have replaced every component in that stove a few times already, except for the secondary burn pipes.

I like the stove, but wouldn't buy another from Travis Industries!

Craig
Same thing here too although they would pay one-way shipping if I decide to send it back

That's what makes this site so great... two guys can talk straight and not get bent out of shape. Kudos to you both!

Reactions: ddddddden
Status
Not open for further replies.