The Chopping Block...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
I knew there had to be a better way than trying to stand a round on it's end, give it whack with the mall and have the pieces fall off the round it was sitting on.

So I built a chopping block, it is made form scrap lumber with a plywood top and bottom.
I drilled 4 holes in the tire and installed 4 screws that stick up about an inch to hold the tire in place, I put 3 pieces of wood inside the tire to give it a bit more height. The tire is easily removable in case I have some large rounds.

I just tried it out and works very well, Its nice and solid and the tire holds the splits in place so they don't fall off. It makes for easier splitting.

Attachments

• Picture 201.jpg
    Picture 201.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 741
That tire looks like it has some good life left in it.

I finally gave the tire idea a try this fall and it has been a back saver. My tire of choice is a set of Hoosier racing slicks,I removed the sidewall pointing up giving me some more room.
Totally amazed how many rounds I can squeeze in there and just simply circle the block to split them all.

I call it the HOOSIER splitting system.

Drill a few drain holes on the bottom side wall so rain will not collect in there.

If you cut off the bead, you can turn the tire inside out which makes it stand much taller.

SolarAndWood said:
That tire looks like it has some good life left in it.

I have to agree, short of a nail - that tire'd still be on my truck!

you know they can repair them right? :)

When I first looked at the pic I thought "why would you do that with a new tire"

Anyway I hope it works out well for you and look forward to the youtube action video.

Thanks for the posting a pic. I've been meaning to try that out.

I guess most people need a chopping block, but why did you build it so high? The lower the better as that gives you a better swing with the axe.

Backwoods Savage said:
I guess most people need a chopping block, but why did you build it so high? The lower the better as that gives you a better swing with the axe.

not my block but I can answer that question.....it seems the older I get the father away the ground gets and my back thanks me for working at a height where I'm not bent over the whole time.

Gator, the only problem I can see with your theory is that you still have to pick up every piece to put it on the chopping block. Split on the ground and you get a better swing and do not have to lift the log before splitting.

btw, I fully understand about the back as mine is terrible. Polio and 3 surgeries and still scoliosis can attest to that plus my age.

Backwoods Savage said:
Gator, the only problem I can see with your theory is that you still have to pick up every piece to put it on the chopping block. Split on the ground and you get a better swing and do not have to lift the log before splitting.

btw, I fully understand about the back as mine is terrible. Polio and 3 surgeries and still scoliosis can attest to that plus my age.
I agree that picking up and carrying rounds is much harder on my back than swinging a maul with a full-length handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.