The Clarks Ace Hardware Warehouse/Time Capsule Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past 2 years we have been digging out old stoves and other hearth products from our ~10,000 sq. ft. warehouse. A large percentage of these hidden treasures are Vermont Castings product left over from "early buy" purcahses (apparently one of heating manager's back in the early-mid 90's wanted that comped ski trip).

We have sold off a lot of these hidden treasures in the past year (mostly brand new Defiants, encores, radiances from the 90's), but there is still many to be uncovered.

I figured I would start a thread to document what we uncover from here on out. Almost everything is still brand spanking new in the crate. What I know is still waiting to be uncovered:

Various VC gas and wood products
Waterford gas and wood products
Whitfield pellet stoves
A stanley/waterford cook stove
....the unknown...........

Here's our wall of VC product yet to be uncrated (15-20 year old time capsules!)

IMAG1810.jpg

Adios Pantalones said:
That's pretty damn cool. Are these grandfathered in because they are in stock?

Everything after 1992 had to be EPA Phase II compliant so they are probably compliant units.

Let's kick it off with a Green Vermont Castings Madison.

Date code: 0021

This was a total surprise to us, we had spotted about a year ago up in the pallet racking. We just assumed it was an old waterford and didn't think much of it. Much to our surprise is was actually a Madison...

IMAG1804.jpg

IMAG1805.jpg

Very neat. Seein them old stoves stacked up and ready to go. You can have quite a sale. I was hopin to see some old Vigilants, Resolutes and Winterwarm inserts.

Monesson says that they will honor warranty on units sold after they bought the company.

Well???

Nice looking stove. Date code: 0021 = Jan 21, 1990 or Jan 2, 1991?

Just pulled down a pallet which looks like to be full of old VC accessories...

Lying on top are some warming shelves (there's your midnight blue, VCBurner!) and a VC branded convection grate.

IMAG1813.jpg

IMAG1814.jpg

I would like to visit, but Maryland is a long way for me. My ancestors used to live there, but that was in 1656.

JimboM said:
I would like to visit, but Maryland is a long way for me. My ancestors used to live there, but that was in 1656.

Clark's has been holding their new stove for them. :lol:

Before my dad died he told me every thing was settled as far as he knew. He said if anything came up to take care of it. So I guess I'll be making a trip to Maryland if they have the stove. Probably only be 5 shillings on the invoice. But the storage! Man I hate to think.

JimboM said:
Before my dad died he told me every thing was settled as far as he knew. He said if anything came up to take care of it. So I guess I'll be making a trip to Maryland if they have the stove. Probably only be 5 shillings on the invoice. But the storage! Man I hate to think.

Lol, at this point it really wouldn't surprise me all that much.

A couple years ago, we actually had a woman bring in a receipt from 1912 for 300' of barb wire for $1.50 (or something around there). It was found smashed in a book so it was preserved very well. All sorts of jokes were made regarding her wanted to return a big roll of rusted barbed wire.

I just find it MUCHO cool that a long time family business is still rocking and rolling. Congrats on that and may many more generations follow.

But if I was consulted - we would have to talk about your inventory management. ;-)

Clarks ACE Hardware said:
JimboM said:

Lol, at this point it really wouldn't surprise me all that much.

A couple years ago, we actually had a woman bring in a receipt from 1912 for 300' of barb wire for $1.50 (or something around there). It was found smashed in a book so it was preserved very well. All sorts of jokes were made regarding her wanted to return a big roll of rusted barbed wire.

Did she bring that in just to show you guys because it was a cool thing to have, or did she expect some sort of service? That is really cool.

Jay,
I'll be coming in to see your place soon... do I get the free tour?

-PB- said:
Jay,
I'll be coming in to see your place soon... do I get the free tour?

Do not go into the warehouse! You may not be seen again for twenty years. :-S

dougand3 said:
Nice looking stove. Date code: 0021 = Jan 21, 1990 or Jan 2, 1991?

I believe it's Jan. 2, 2001. I don't think the Madison was in production back then.

In my expiriance date codes like that are the year and the week (00 - 52)

So that would be the year 2000 week 21

If you run across some coal grates for 1912 Kineo cook stove I'd be interested!

When I bring my weed whacker in for a tune-up in a week or so can I get a tour??? I'm in your shop every other week.

I had a post sometime back about finding NOS stoves. Loandbehold here they are.

Just pulled down a pallet which looks like to be full of old VC accessories...

Lying on top are some warming shelves (there's your midnight blue, VCBurner!) and a VC branded convection grate.
Really? Is that it, the midnight blue shelves? You have them?! What a coincidence. Sweet thread man! In fact, for me, this is got to be rated in the top three. The fact that you are still going to unveil new discoveries has got to make a lot of people interested. I agree with Jags, it feels a little like waiting for Santa to put the gifts under the tree. Ok, maybe, I'm a little too excited but just consider yourself lucky for a couple of reasons; #1, I don't live anywhere near your shop otherwise I'd be in there with a box of Joe and a dozen donuts on a weekly basis to share with you guys and look at all these new discoveries!! :lol: #2, I have a tendency of hanging around too long @ stores I really like that offer tools (being a carpenter) and stoves which are my favorite Winter past time. You guys in Elliot should feel lucky to still have such an example of the American dream in your back yards. A place where you can still get knowledgeable service from people who care.

The Madison looks pretty cool, with a side loading door too! What was the size, similar to the Defiant Encore?

Status
Not open for further replies.