1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The composition of pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ducker, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducker

ducker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Leominster, MA
    Do Pellet mills ever put additives in pellets? Maybe some type of adhesive to help them keep their shape? or to help in increasing the BTU output?

From what I've read on the pellet wiki page it sounds as if all a pellet is (typically) is just wood fiber. that's it.

I guess I'm a little concerned about the cheaper brand of pellet I bought.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BubbRubb

BubbRubb New Member

Loc:
    Hagerstown, MD
    I've never heard of adhesive being used to hold a pellet together. Cheaper pellets often equate to more ash which equates to more frequent cleanings which equates to less free time to plow snow which equates to unhappy wife
  3. ducker

ducker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Leominster, MA
    yea but in terms of any type of toxic fumes (aside from your standard CO2) with burning a cheaper pellet vs. a more expensive one.

I'm not really that concerned, since everything I read states it's all wood; but wife + new toddler = question everything :)
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    There's nothing in pellets but wood residue and maybe a little paper or corn. Harmless to the toddler unless he chokes on them (heaven forbid).
  5. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Some will have a small quantity of oil (such as soybean oil) included as well, which can increase the the efficiency of the manufacturing process.
  6. mjbrown

mjbrown Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hartland,Me.
    i believe(though not sure , so dont quote me) that the process for making the pellets is putting them thru a 100 ton press.with 100 ton of pressure, they should be able to hold their shape without glues or additives.from what i read on the bio-brick when i considered those, it was all very high pressure.

mike
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    You're right. Along with the pressure is heat and natural resins which helps to bind them together.
  8. jawquin

jawquin Member

Loc:
    Quincy, IN
    lignin

The press compresses the wood pellets through a die, which is designed with an appropriately sized hole, usually as small as 6 mm in diameter. The extreme pressure of the press compresses the wood and causes the temperature of the wood to rise very much as well. This temperature rise causes the lignin of the wood to form a sort of natural glue which holds the pellets together as the wood cools again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.