The cool weather has started......1st frost warning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I just got my first frost warning of the season for my area......and the new stove isn't here yet :-/

BTU said:
macman said:
I just got my first frost warning of the season for my area......and the new stove isn't here yet :-/

Macman....Now you are talking dirty to me........LOL

BTU, you are a sick, sick man... :lol: But if you send me a ton of Okanagan's, i'll talk dirty to you for a year!! LOL I am such a pellet pig OINK!!

HI guys sorry to thread jump

Hey Fire, you sell pellets? I'm located in southern maine and I'm in the market looking for pellets.

yknotcarpentry said:
HI guys sorry to thread jump

Hey Fire, you sell pellets? I'm located in southern maine and I'm in the market looking for pellets.

If you're referring to BTU, yes, he's a distributor. Don't know if he sells to the general public.

What say you, BTU (AKA scaredy cat)?

ooo so sorry, I am new here! yes I was referring to BTU I mistook the lvl rating as his name and btu I am just a consumer and will try to figure out the pm thing

yknotcarpentry said:
.....and will try to figure out the pm thing

Yknot, just click on his name over on the left side of one of his posts....that will bring you to his personal info page, and you'll see buttons to contact him by PM or email.....or just use the PM button.

Either that or just go in the direction of Lowes or Home Depot.... lol

Mainepellethead,

I did that last year as it was slim pickings at the time I was able to buy. I know the pellets HD has now are not of a quality I want for this year as I suffered through one ton of them last year. I also had some from eliot agway, great pellets but they wanted a ton of cash for delivery so I ended up renting a truck and moving them myself, a pain in the rump. I bought a ton (actually 60 bags) today from Middleton lumber in somersworth nh, Barefoot pellets are what they had in stock at the moment with free delivery, they said they had good reviews with them last year. They are also getting maine woods pellets in next week.??? I have never used either or. I would like to support local business, do you have any suggestions or thought being a local s mainer yourself?

yknotcarpentry said:
......I know the pellets HD has now are not of a quality I want for this year as I suffered through one ton of them last year.....
Just curious Yknot....what brands does your HD have now?

mac,

I'm sorry but the name is escaping me at the moment, i can tell you they were in a black bag big orange flame on the front, orange lettering? produced so much ash I would have to clean the pot twice daily in order to keep it from getting choked out. I can go tommorow and get you a name. I don't really like to talk bad about companies etc but I know I am avoiding them this year.

yknotcarpentry said:
mac,

I'm sorry but the name is escaping me at the moment, i can tell you they were in a black bag big orange flame on the front, orange lettering? produced so much ash I would have to clean the pot twice daily in order to keep it from getting choked out. I can go tommorow and get you a name. I don't really like to talk bad about companies etc but I know I am avoiding them this year.

Don't make a special trip....I was just curious. From the description you gave of the bag, were they FireSide Ultras?

that does ring a bell, i think it may have been

yknotcarpentry said:
that does ring a bell, i think it may have been
If so, the reviews have been mixed on them....some say the same thing you did about excess ash, but others like them quite a bit. I guess it comes down to the stove and your stove settings. I'd try finding something different this time. Okanagan, Omalleys, Lignetics, Barefoot, Rocky Mtn, Granules LG, NEWP are all good pellets, but there are others.

Take a look at this thread to see what others think are the best they've burned: www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41459/

yknot:
Portland area HD's currently sell Fireside Ultra, Lowes sells Maine-made brand from Strong (Maine’s Choice I think); I bought Penningtons from Sam's club. Support your local Big Box! :b

Back to topic:
It was right at the freezing mark this morning. Frost on the cars for the first time. It only dipped to 67 in the house so no fire needed. My house will warm up and stay warm as long as we don't get a stretch of days with no sun.

yknot.... you'll find bad pellets with everyone. Its the chance you take. I bought 30 bags of New England Wood Pellets last year from a local dealer and they were the dirtiest pellets I have ever burned. The burn pot would be full in not even 24 hours. And they are suppose to be reputable. I have burned Firesides Ultras...I bought 2 tons of them 2 years ago and they burned hot hot hot, minimal ash. I got ahold of maybe 30 bags last season and they were good for my stove but they werent that plentiful last season. Fireside Ultras come out of Quebec and in my experience it "seems" Canadian pellets have always produced well for me. Although we are getting better over here. I have burned Rocky Mountains which were some of the best pellets I have ever burned. I burned about a ton of Natures Heat(Penningtons) last winter and they burned very well for me....lots of heat and didnt have any more ash than usual.
The pellets I bought this year are Maine Choice(NOT Maine Woods) from Lowes( 1 ton), LG's(1 ton from local dealer) and Green Team from Lowes(1 ton). I have burned Green Team before and they are good.
The key to buying is buy late spring through summer. If you wait to late you will get slim pickens and have to buy what is available as was the case last year. I also have a trailer so picking them up myself isnt a problem...so I pay no delivery fees....Very few and far between are good guys that will deliver free, if they deliver free then somewhere in the cost of them will be figured in for delivery.

yknotcarpentry said:
Mainepellethead,

I did that last year as it was slim pickings at the time I was able to buy. I know the pellets HD has now are not of a quality I want for this year as I suffered through one ton of them last year. I also had some from eliot agway, great pellets but they wanted a ton of cash for delivery so I ended up renting a truck and moving them myself, a pain in the rump. I bought a ton (actually 60 bags) today from Middleton lumber in somersworth nh, Barefoot pellets are what they had in stock at the moment with free delivery, they said they had good reviews with them last year. They are also getting maine woods pellets in next week.??? I have never used either or. I would like to support local business, do you have any suggestions or thought being a local s mainer yourself?

yknotcarpentry said:
Mainepellethead,

the rochester, NH HD has fireside ultras, they are good in my book. for pellets in southern ME, I got mine from d&j;in sanford, me MWP (lots of bad ratings) delivered at 253/ton delivered. they had two other brands also that are better quality and some more money.

Low 80's here at the moment... no fuel useage in the current forecast.

80's and humid here today. My stove won't get fired up
until the nights are in the 30's. Hoping that is quite
some time from now.

I ran my stove a couple of times on cold mornings, mostly just to make sure it will work when I need it.

I'm with you. It's hard to believe I felt compelled to run my stove just a week ago. I'm roasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.