The Cooling of Ameica, TIME magazine article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,947122-1,00.html

From 1979!

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house: Brrrrr!
Mud splats against wheel wells. The transmission howls. Linda Ronstadt, a half-ton Chevy pickup with a ton of yellow birch cordwood aboard, has sunk to her rusty frame in a mushy patch of logging road. Linda has four-wheel drive and a lot of heart, but this is a Sargasso of mud, the kind that bogs the wood lot every year after the leafless forest trees stop drinking water and the October rains come. Linda's friend and owner disembarks to consider the problem.
What follows is wet, dirty and boring, and goes on for hours. The truck's owner, an escaped city man who can sound irritatingly smug about the rewards of living in the country, is angry now at the cordwood, the mud, poor mired Linda, and himself. He is spinning wheels, wasting time. Great deeds remain undone, great orthodontist bills are unpaid. Awash with self-doubt, he heaves the birch chunks out to lighten the truck, then jacks, wedges, winches and ponders. At last Linda groans free, and all that remains is to retrieve the half cord of jettisoned birch. There is never a thought of leaving the firewood behind: in darkest February, it will heat the woodsman's ten-room New Hampshire house for a week.

Interesting article, I am still reading it

"Every log burned is a lump of caviar extracted from the mouth of an Arab."

Cast, was that you :)

What the woodburners and the backyard inventors are expressing is more than flabby "life-style" preening; it is an exceedingly determined kind of self-reliance: "I am going to stay warm, damn the Arabs, and damn the oil companies, and damn the damned Government!"

Someone should find that writer and have him update it. Good read, too bad we (USA) hasnt really come that far since 1979

There is some good literature about stoves - just read a paragraph in Cannery Row that made me think of starting a wiki section on these cool quotes - I will dig it up and start something......

In Cannery Row, the bums in the flop house get a hold of a stove (finally) and it tells how it became their prized possession, and how they moved it piece by piece from far away to their flophouse. Pretty good writing.....

Google (the internet) is amazing, I stumbled on that article looking for Lange stoves.
The first hit, this place LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.