The cost of bar oil!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
smokinj said:
WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
I can tell you from experience that I have pumped literally thousands of gallons of sump oil through chainsaws over a 20 + year period and NEVER had pump problems.If your worried about "grit and junk" filter your oil through some denim blue jean material. Just as good as filtering if not better and free.
now that makes more since to me wasnt sure about what you where doing

I actually settle out (for a month) and trippple filter my used oil down to 5 microns before I use it.
thats a tip i will use!

Gooserider said:
I bought a bunch of bar oil recently, figured it wasn't going to get any cheaper... IIRC, WallyWorld was cheapest at 6.99 / gallon for Pull-on oil, TSC was $1.00 more for their house brand, and HD and Lowes were $1.00 more than that, again for house brand. (all but Walmart price came from the respective websites)Gooserider

Back last spring when oil went sky high someone apprised me of impending prices of everything associated with oil going up (ie. bar oil). So I went around buying up all the cheap bar oil I could find. The most I payed was 5.15 a gallon the least I paid was 4.50 a gallon. I now have ten gallons of bar oil in my shed. I used about two gallons a year so I figure I have at least a 5 year supply. :)

Tree farmer said:
I used about two gallons a year so I figure I have at least a 5 year supply. :)

I just changed the oil in the Suburban so I figure I do too.

What about 80-90 weight gear oil? I have 4 gal. of new, that's been sitting in the barn for a few years.

flewism said:
What about 80-90 weight gear oil? I have 4 gal. of new, that's been sitting in the barn for a few years.

That would probably work better than motor oil (new or used) but what I might be tempted to do is add some of those "Miracle" gear oil treatments that claim to make the oil cling to things better (often marketed in the autoparts stores with those little counter toy displays with the gears that you crank - and the oil on the "treated" side sticks to the gears better...) Would seem like that stuff would potentially make an ideal chain lube as it is so tacky and likely to resist getting slung off...

Gooserider

flewism said:

Regular bar oil is 30 weight. The 90 weight will be like pumping concrete. I would expect a low flow rate of lube to the saw and some heavy wear on that pump that was made for the realtively light 30 weight.

Maybe you can cut the 90 weight with something to thin it down.

Highbeam said:
flewism said:

Regular bar oil is 30 weight. The 90 weight will be like pumping concrete. I would expect a low flow rate of lube to the saw and some heavy wear on that pump that was made for the realtively light 30 weight.

Agreed. If you want to use the 90 weight, cut it with some kero (K1).

Wet1 said:
Highbeam said:
flewism said:

Agreed. If you want to use the 90 weight, cut it with some kero (K1).

In the Husky manual, it even says that if you are cutting in below freezing temps to thin the regular bar oil with kerosene.

I could easily cut it with kero , as I have some that left over from garage heating this past winter. It's just that I have a lot of gear oil, every time I bought an implement for my compact with a gearbox I'd end up with a free 2 gallon jug of gear oil and that was four implements. I received a total of eight free gallons of gear oil even through the units came with their gearboxes full. I can also use the used sump oil as we have 5 vehicles, one tractor, one boat and, about 8 small engines around here and some of those do get a straight 30 weight. Sound like I'll just save the gear oil for the where it is called for. and start saving my used engine oil, and/or continue buying bar oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.