The Country Music Challenge Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Pretty simple really. Post a video of a song that does not contain any of the following words, combination of words, or phrases anywhere in the lyrics:

Tractor
Barn
Tailgate
Shine
Moonshine
Jacked up
Mud tires
Pickup
Pickup truck
Skoal
Skoal ring
Boots
Jeans
Ball cap
John Deere
Beer
Redneck
Any reference to Hank Williams Sr. or Jr. (Unless the song is by Hank Sr., Jr., or III)
Backwoods

I'll start:

Here's a song that technically violates the rules, but it's to prove a point:

The point is that despite what Jason Aldean, Trace Adkins, Blake Shelton, and Florida Georgia Line have done to country music these days (and what others have done before them-this is nothing new) there's still good stuff out there if you're willing to look. There's still country music that is "Three chords and the truth," that is, songs about life, the good, bad, and the ugly. The reason "Sunday Morning Coming Down" still fits even though it contains one of the new "buzzwords" is because the song uses it in a context that illustrates the desperation of a burned out alcoholic struggling to face another day. Not some kid sitting on a "tailgate" in the "backwoods" telling us how country he is because he likes "cold beer." Post some of your favorite songs and share some of your favorite country singers with others who want to hear more country music that's about real life, not some sanitized, idealized version that involves some endless bonfire party back in the woods
rolleyes.gif

or any song by this genious

back in the day when i wore the green suit i actually used to sing this on road marches, got rave reviews as it was a ditty that had a good rythem, wasnt meant to be racist and was accepted by all who marched with me

or this one;

i can get modern as well if ya want

reba, the sitting queen of nashville

or by sugarland

ok back to the old school

and one of my favs of alltime, the greatest country /western song of all time

Reactions: NW Walker

videos aside i believe the OP is correct , i hate a lot of the "cookie cutter" country being performed thee days, i prefer the "pure" country we get mostly from the past.

that said there are some in today's generation that still follow the calling of pure country music at least they produce music of that type

Every song ever recorded by George Strait.

(That should send youtube traffic nuts looking for one that did) ;lol

And, my fave

My neighbor says he will never go to a concert with a guy wearing $5,000 worth of clothes playing a $10,000 guitar with a million dollar set singing about hard times. ;lol

To quote Merle: "I don't think Hank done it that way."

Almost for got

Every song ever recorded by George Strait.

(That should send youtube traffic nuts looking for one that did) ;lol

good luck to em, i own a lot of GS finding one with the "bad words" isnt gonna be easy.

of course you can find a bunch of em in david allen coe's "you never even called me by my name"

the insipid writing of the dumb is flooding the airwaves , songs that include lyrics that suggest a guy got laid by having atruck with big tires and a spit cup in the seat (yeah it exists and was apparently popular) is pretty exemplifying of how far country music has tumbled from the genious of past singers like jones, hag, walyon and george strait, johnny cash and the like. its really a shame. you have to wonder what possum would say thinking about "who's gonna fill their shoes" with this trash being played these days

Steve Goodman actually wrote the song Mike. Coe is a bigoted piece of crap. Here is Steve singing his song.

Skoal! Lol. Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard right now. Yeah, I hate "modern" country music. I prefer the bluegrass offshoots and indies. The real musicians.

Can't decide what to post. I'm getting ready to practice so I will go old school.

I lived in Texas for a short time but it had a huge influence on the style of music that I listen to. Here is a classic. Going old school again.

"Well kiss my ass, I bought a boat, I'm going out to sea"

A couple of years ago some one on the hearth turned me on to James McMurtry. Thank you so much. Love his music and got to see him once in Chicago.
Also found Chris Smither on youtube while watching James McMurtry videos on youtube. Love his music even more and also got to see him at the City winery in Chicago in September.

Chris Smither! I thought I was the only person that liked him. Is this the same Chris Smither?

Reactions: aussiedog3
well, not a "coe" fan, i just knew he had done it so thats why i referrenced him

Yeah it was the first song I thought of when I saw the thread too.

Yeah it was the first song I thought of when I saw the thread too.

actually i though of a relatively recent song with a guy who was extolling the fact that he picked up chicks because his truck was so tall, admonishing the chick to be careful not to spill his "spit cup"

i agree with the OP, there are some modern elements of country music today that are simply unenjoyable to listen to at all. some of the new stuff aint so bad, but a lot of it is simply lousy

I am a groupie.

Status
Not open for further replies.