The Craigslist Gods Were Smiling On Me Today........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
I scored a HUGE dead and down (last week) Black Walnut about 5 miles from my house off of CL--there's gotta be at least 3-4 cords there.......

Got home and was checking CL again, found a 2 year old Stihl MS 440 for cheappppp......it's a screamer!!!

Pics of wood and saw to follow..........

NP

I'd love to have some walnut to try out in my Endeavor. Walnuts just don't get very large here on top of the Cumberland Plateau. You drive down into the valley, though, and they get BIG. I was at my aunt's house over the weekend for a surprise birthday party for my maternal grandmother. We had a nice little cookout down by a local river. I couldn't believe the size of the walnut trees down there! And there was also a huge cedar tree - something I don't see grow very large here, either. Funny what a little difference in elevation will make.

walnut burns nice - especially when it is free. also makes a nice gunstock.

Nonprophet said:
I scored a HUGE dead and down (last week) Black Walnut about 5 miles from my house off of CL--there's gotta be at least 3-4 cords there.......

Got home and was checking CL again, found a 2 year old Stihl MS 440 for cheappppp......it's a screamer!!!

Pics of wood and saw to follow..........

NP

2 good scores pic's please

Pagey said:
I'd love to have some walnut to try out in my Endeavor.

Black Walnut is not a "great" firewood. It burns, it heats it makes LOTS of ash. But it sure is some beautiful wood.

Congratulations on two great finds.

Jags said:
Pagey said:
I'd love to have some walnut to try out in my Endeavor.

Black Walnut is not a "great" firewood. It burns, it heats it makes LOTS of ash. But it sure is some beautiful wood.

Well, it turns out that it's English Walnut which is fine with me--it has the same BTU rating as Black Walnut and I don't have to feel so guilty about burning such a beautiful wood!!

I burned a little Black Walnut last winter that a friend gave me, and I liked it. Again, I think it's an East Coast-West Coast thing--you guys are loaded to bear with excellent hardwoods, whereas out here in the PNW our choices are much more limited. The vast majority of wood burned here is Doug Fir with a BTU rating of 18. We do get some White Oak (29.1) and some Big Leaf Maple (22), so at 22.2 BTU's, English/Black Walnut is pretty attractive to us--especially when it's FREE!!

The stuff I burned last year was well-seasoned and it burned very well, made very little ash, and had a nice smell to it. Some of this English Walnut will be dry enough to burn this year (the tree was standing dead for 3 years....) so I'll report back once I've had a chance to burn some of it........

NP

Nonprophet said:
English/Black Walnut is pretty attractive to us--especially when it's FREE!!

Don't take my post on Black Walnut as a bash towards its usefulness as fuel. I will burn Black Walnut if it comes my way. My point was that it is a middle of the road fuel with a bad habit towards creating alot of ash.

Edit: I don't know if I have ever held a stick of English Walnut.

I still need to see pic's of the walnut and the 440

smokinj said:
I still need to see pic's of the walnut and the 440

Here's some pics of the MS 440 and the English Walnut rounds--pics of the tree will have to wait until later this evening as I forgot to take my camera over there yesterday.......

Attachments

• ms440-(1-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(1-of-9)copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 394
  • ms440-(4-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(4-of-9)copy.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 392
  • ms440-(5-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(5-of-9)copy.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 398
  • ms440-(6-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(6-of-9)copy.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 394
  • ms440-(8-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(8-of-9)copy.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 387
  • ms440-(9-of-9)copy.jpg
    ms440-(9-of-9)copy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 395
Nice how much for the saw?

smokinj said:

$200 for the saw. The bar is in good shape and the skip chain still has a lot of life left in it. I compression tested it at 155, and pulled the muffler to find nice smooth cylinder wall.....It's cranks right up and runs really strong.

The only problem is that the seller dropped it about a month ago on a rock and cracked the bottom of the fuel tank. He fixed it with JB Weld, but it still leaks slowly--I just ground off his repair down to the plastic and I'm going to try and repair it myself with either another epoxy, or with JB Weld and some fiberglass mesh+ proper surface prep.....if that doesn't work I'll hunt around for a used tank. I've never owned or run a MS 440, but from what I hear these things will run FOREVER--they're built super tough!

Nonprophet said:
smokinj said:

$200 for the saw. The bar is in good shape and the skip chain still has a lot of life left in it. I compression tested it at 155, and pulled the muffler to find nice smooth cylinder wall.....It's cranks right up and runs really strong.

The only problem is that the seller dropped it about a month ago on a rock and cracked the bottom of the fuel tank. He fixed it with JB Weld, but it still leaks slowly--I just ground off his repair down to the plastic and I'm going to try and repair it myself with either another epoxy, or with JB Weld and some fiberglass mesh+ proper surface prep.....if that doesn't work I'll hunt around for a used tank. I've never owned or run a MS 440, but from what I hear these things will run FOREVER--they're built super tough!
yep its a bad boy and 200.00 bucks its sweeeet!

Wet1 said:
Very nice! You can tell that saw came from the west coast! :cheese:

yep! on the west coast thing if it was out of the midwest there would be a stihl es bar

Jags said:
Nonprophet said:
$200 for the saw.

Holy crap. Now thats a deal right there.

Yeah, I thought so too! He posted it on CL, said his son was in a car accident and he needed money NOW for a plane ticket--"first person with $200 to show up get's the saw".....I felt bad for him but I've been looking for a larger saw for awhile.

He says he bought the saw new 2 1/2 years ago and has only used it for fire wood. It seems pretty clean and it runs great, plus he had me over to his house so I think it's legit--just one of those deals where he needed money fast.

One guy got there 5 mins before me--and tried to offer him $175--but the owner got pissed and told him to leave--even when he offered to pay the full $200!

When I got there we fired up the saw and he had no problem with me pulling the muffler and doing a compression test, and it all checked out great. So now all I have to do is repair or replace the fuel tank and I think this saw should cut a LOT of wood......I'll probably put a 25" or maybe 28" bar on it--the current 32" bar is just too big for what I usually cut.........

NP

Nonprophet said:
Jags said:
Nonprophet said:
$200 for the saw.

Holy crap. Now thats a deal right there.

Yeah, I thought so too! He posted it on CL, said his son was in a car accident and he needed money NOW for a plane ticket--"first person with $200 to show up get's the saw".....I felt bad for him but I've been looking for a larger saw for awhile.

He says he bought the saw new 2 1/2 years ago and has only used it for fire wood. It seems pretty clean and it runs great, plus he had me over to his house so I think it's legit--just one of those deals where he needed money fast.

One guy got there 5 mins before me--and tried to offer him $175--but the owner got pissed and told him to leave--even when he offered to pay the full $200!

When I got there we fired up the saw and he had no problem with me pulling the muffler and doing a compression test, and it all checked out great. So now all I have to do is repair or replace the fuel tank and I think this saw should cut a LOT of wood......I'll probably put a 25" or maybe 28" bar on it--the current 32" bar is just too big for what I usually cut.........

NP

with a 32 in. in your back pocket i'd go with a 24 in.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too......I'd bet a 24" b&c;would balance really nicely on this saw.....

NP

Nonprophet said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too......I'd bet a 24" b&c;would balance really nicely on this saw.....

NP

yes it would, and cut like a Big dog! full chisel no skip

smokinj said:
Nonprophet said:

NP

Just last night I had the 361 with the 24/25" bar buried ass deep in a white oak stump, just a sling'in chips. I'll bet I would have had fun with that 440.

Jags said:
smokinj said:
Nonprophet said:

NP

Just last night I had the 361 with the 24/25" bar buried ass deep in a white oak stump, just a sling'in chips. I'll bet I would have had fun with that 440.
I was burried in oak a couple weeks ago 45in. running a 28 in. bar no skip it would buied you in chips quick

$200 is a great price! Yeah, a 32" is a lot of bar on that saw (that west coast thing I guess), I like a 20" or 24" on those. She'll pull a 28" no problem, but 32" is about all that saw wants and it's really nose heavy. BTW, I've never been overly impressed with the power of the 044/440, but they are great saws and they'll run forever.

Let me look this weekend, I know I have some 044/440 parts kicking around... I might have a fuel tank.

Wet1 said:
$200 is a great price! Yeah, a 32" is a lot of bar on that saw (that west coast thing I guess), I like a 20" or 24" on those. She'll pull a 28" no problem, but 32" is about all that saw wants and it's really nose heavy. BTW, I've never been overly impressed with the power of the 044/440, but they are great saws and they'll run forever.

Let me look this weekend, I know I have some 044/440 parts kicking around... I might have a fuel tank.

Thanks! If you find one let me know. Turns out that there's a dime-sized hole in the tank, not just a crack.....I still think I could patch it with another piece of plastic and some JB weld and/or a fiberglass repair kit I've got, but a used tank would be the best long-term solution.

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.