The Culprit That Caused My Well Problems Is No More!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Bye, bye bad well top connector

well1 001.JPG
we.JPG

No wonder the whole house filter was clogging every month. The Well Dudes said it had been leaking for years. I'd say "obviously" by the sand blasting effects.

Nice new fix. Ain't it purty???

well1 003.JPG

All these years, I thought it was a high iron content. And it was dirt !!!

:confused:

FINALLY, something goes right for Dixie!:cool: Bout damn time.
Coupla' nipples, a union, piece of poly and some clamps. Priceless.
Hardest part of that would be digging down to find it.>>

FINALLY, something goes right for Dixie!:cool: Bout damn time.
Coupla' nipples, a union, piece of poly and some clamps. Priceless.
Hardest part of that would be digging down to find it.>>

That woulda been me ;) The Well Dudes just made it bigger so they could fit in there (they were BIG guys!!!)

Pressure is awesome, and the clothes are already cleaner ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'll ask Murph & Salem.... I was buying bottled for them, as their water bowl turned brown if I used the tap water.

Murph says yeppers :) Salems sleeping :p

Yea! I love a happy ending. Good to hear that you got that fixed.

For easier service, instead of back filling it with dirt, maybe drop in a culvert section with a lid and fill with insulation or straw?

Thanks, BG.. I was going to fill it with straw, then top cover the straw with sand.

I will never forget where that well top is, trust me :)

Instead of the straw maybe cut a 5gal bucket to fit over the top and cover the wires with something to help you from scuffing them next time -you hopefully don't have to do this for a while.
You could cut a couple notches in a bucket and straddle the pipe and stuff the extra wire up under.

Reactions: PapaDave
Crazy that you guys bury well heads over there. Ours about always stick out of the ground above grade so that some yahoo, or surface water, doesn't contaminate it.

I'm a fan of double hose clamps on these barbs. One each direction and brass barbs, the iron rusts fast. Even better are the compression fittings.

I would'nt backfill that until i put something around it, like maybe a 3' piece of pipe for later reference. glad you found the problem.without clean water the future is bleek.

Crazy that you guys bury well heads over there. Ours about always stick out of the ground above grade so that some yahoo, or surface water, doesn't contaminate it.

I'm a fan of double hose clamps on these barbs. One each direction and brass barbs, the iron rusts fast. Even better are the compression fittings.

+1. That looks like a short term (10 yr?) fix. I would go sched 40 pvc before using galvanized pipe. And I'd make it accessible for service. (that way you will never need it - murphy's law)

The top of your well is below grade? Maybe was ok "back in teh day" but it really needs to be extended to several inches above grade. It's a great way to have surface water/contamination get in the well otherwise.
I'd at the very least ask the well company that did the work about it!

Wells can be funny too. My grandparents had an artisan fed well for years and years. Uncle/Aunt buy the farm and have a modern well dug. Took 4 or 5 attempts ($$$$) and the last one they got water but it tastes horrible. I don't think even cows would drink it. Can't use it to wash clothes or shower either, makes the clothes and your hair stink.

Guess what they are using? The old well that worked just fine for the last 150 years.

I thank you all for the ideas, means alot to me.

At this point, it's a fix for not a bunch of $$$'s, and we have water, the pressure is awesome, and the filter isn't clogging. ;ex

First chance I get, it's city water for me, which is right out on the street. I'll have water when the power goes out instead of filling garbage cans, bleach, etc.

I agree with the others that the well casing should be extended at least 30 centimetres (12") above grade and properly graded (around the well casing to draw surface water away); and fitted with a pitless adapter and a proper well head. Right now you have a "well pit" which allows surface water (and contaminants) to pool around the well head and annular space (space around the well casing). Depending upon how well the well head and annulus is sealed (grouted), surface water (and contaminants) can infiltrate either area. These areas can act as direct conduits into your well water.

Also, with a proper well head, the vented screen will diffuse any pressure differentials in the well pipe caused by fluctuating water levels.

However, if you are planning to connect to a municipal source soon, then save your money. Just keep in mind, depending on the municipality, there might be hook up fees, metering fee, along with the monthly consumption fees etc. A properly constructed/maintained well might be cheaper in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.