The Drought is over...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Ok, I think my drought is over. In about a weeks time, my tree guy has called twice now. The first round was for some Honey Locust and the second was for Oak. All, I've got to say is Darn that Oak is heavy! I had to go home and get my full size truck to haul it home, just didn't feel comfortable in the area that I went to go get it at. But I think it was well worth it. Most of it will go to my neighbor that I help get wood for.

First pickup load of Honey Lucost.
951c566d.jpg

Second Round
a4ef034f.jpg

Back side of second round. Some good wood here.
d42f3c5c.jpg

The Oak Tree: They had a 660 that wouldn't go all the way through it. I'll have to take a measurement on the OD of the tree. But I got all the big wood, except for 4 small pieces that I couldn't get on my truck.

4be82787.jpg

looks like cherry to me

I've never seen a cherry trunk that big, do they get that big around at the trunk? Also if he said it was really heavy I'm leaning toward oak. Bark looks more like oak.

that's a sweet load of kick butt firewood there.

nice trailer. that's my next investment. it never ends!

Cherry can get that big, but that's not cherry. A few years ago a cherry about that big came down in a storm. The trunk split on the way down and the whole neighborhood smelled like cherry! I could have sat there for hours!

Nope not cherry, some of the pretttiest Oak that I've cut up. Heavy? Uh, yeah, some of the pieces on the trailer (I'll take pics tonight of), took 3 - 5 guys to roll up on the trailer. The guy that got there before me got all the managable pieces.

Nope not cherry, some of the pretttiest Oak that I've cut up. Heavy? Uh, yeah, some of the pieces on the trailer (I'll take pics tonight of), took 3 - 5 guys to roll up on the trailer. The guy that got there before me got all the managable pieces.

But you got the piece that will yield more splits!

Reactions: woodsmaster
Awesome loads of wood. You're lucky to have a deal like that

Good score.
each round looks to be about 1/8 of a cord +.
A challenging piece of wood to split, but would be fun to do :)
All great BTU wood ;)

Wait till ya got to split those babies,i had to hire a guy just to roll the 30 x16s in place under the splitter,while i operated the machine then he stacked the split pieces.Even split in half yur still dealing with 120-150Lbs of wood.

Well here is the Oak on the trailer and what I had in the back of the truck.

This was what was in the back of the truck
af557c01.jpg

81574d0e.jpg

1c56234a.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Wow that is a load

yep oak..i told u guys oak..

Reactions: Blue Vomit
Very nice! That'll keep you busy.

hey eother way i would have tooken oak or cherry equals good wood....i was wrong....wont be the last time i promise

Love the sense of humor though steel

Nice score! each round will produce a nice pile of splits.

Reactions: chvymn99
I am jealous...nice. I havent had a good scrounge in quite some time. I have either been too busy or just been a little late all year.
Had to pass just the other day on a really nice red oak find... Money on the ground is hard to pass by...:(

What a monster- nice haul!

I am jealous...nice. I havent had a good scrounge in quite some time. I have either been too busy or just been a little late all year.
Had to pass just the other day on a really nice red oak find... Money on the ground is hard to pass by...:(

I know what you mean. It had been like since Aprilish time frame, since my last hit. But with this heat we've been having, I really haven't cared either. However, when the phone rings, I'll try my darnest to get the job done. Plus he helps to load me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.