The Economics of Splitting Wood by Hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazincajun

Burning Hunk
Jan 10, 2014
Augusta, GA
John A. Cuddeback discusses "The Economics of Splitting Wood by Hand." He says that his " ...commitment to purchase neither wood nor hydraulic splitter is at times a sign of contradiction."

On occasions it was pointed out by others that he would save so much more time by purchasing one of those firewood splitters. The rational person, he points out, would assume that because the mechanical splitter saves time it must be the best way to get his firewood.

His desire to hand split his firewood often wavered against the premium value of time. It came to a head finally when someone accused him that what he was doing was not economical. The accuser was basically telling him that the time spent splitting could be put to better use in his writing and lecturing and that he would come out ahead.

John's puzzlement led him to weigh his goals, "Is the goal to make enough money that I can pay others to do all the menial, or manual, activities in my day?" That mentality he states is "...a common, if unrecognized, trap." He mentions injury or sickness as reasons that he might personally turn to purchasing split firewood.

John builds a case defining language of Greek philosophers and concludes by emphasizing the importance of people and his personal satisfaction of self-sufficiency. "But I do assert that to replace a profoundly human form of work simply because one could come out monetarily ahead, or even save time, is..."

Awesome article - Confirms in me that simplicity and hard work are good things

The complete article can be found at: http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/catholic_stories/cs0587.htm

John A. Cuddeback is professor of Philosophy at Christendom College in Front Royal, Virginia, where he has taught since 1995.

Last edited:
For anyone who is not a professor and actually does physical work to pay the bills, splitting firewood by hand and using a manual saw to cut it would be very strenuous on any body after a few years. Man, talk is cheap.

"Certain kinds of work are in fact a blessing."

That pretty much sums up how I feel. Splitting wood, working in the garden, these are things that bring great enjoyment. The day will come when I can no longer do these things so I'm going to enjoy them while I can.

Man, talk is cheap.

At this stage in John's life he is walking the talk and actually getting his son to do something honorable. Doing physical work most of my life has really kept me in great shape - love it.

I agree. I like splitting wood by hand with my Fiskars. I try to only split a certain amount at a time so I don't wear myself out. If I had to do a large pile all at once by myself a splitter would be nice.

.......I have the best of both worlds.....depending on how I feel and what I'm splitting, i use both....the Friskars, maul or my hydraulic splitter.

Reactions: mtarbert
I have a sedentary job, so I actually LOVE splitting wood. Great exercise, great solitary/reflection time.

I actually have a lot of rounds to process so I'll probably rent a splitter soon to catch up. After that it's back to manual splitting as stuff comes in.

Totally agree that it doesn't make sense from an economy of time standpoint, but it works for those reasons for me.

If I had a hard manual job, a splitter would probably be a no-brainer.

Not having read the article yet I will nonetheless venture an opinion :) based on the quotes from blazin'. Doesn't sound like the author is anti hydraulic splitter, only the notion that he should have one so he can spend time doing something else more worthwhile. To the contrary he feels his time splitting is time well spent. I imagine if you use a splitter to save time so you can do something else he would not object.

Reactions: blazincajun
If the Professor needs more quality time, I am right down the road. He can come and split my wood for me. Anything to help him out.

I think the ethics of Manual Labor are generally explored by those who dont engage in it, except recreationally.

If the ethics of manual labor are not explored by those who do it I would wonder why? Sounds like the professor has come a long way from the archetypical suburb to homesteading on the Shenandoah river with his wife and six children. The center of their homesteading are acorn fed pigs. Sounds like this professor works really hard in addition to earning a living at a small private college.

Reactions: BillLion
Funny stuff. It certainly is easy to be philosophical about ditch digging when you don't have to do it. Still I think the idea is even though you have the means to avoid all manual labor doesn't mean you should. Not to mention I don't imagine those with a hydraulic splitter feel like they are not working.

If you've read the biography of John Adams he was a proponent of labor and built rock walls into his 80's. Plenty of other examples.

I split by hand for 30 years. This year I got a hydraulic splitter. My wrists are pretty much shot.!!!
I'm glad I split by hand those years, but that splitter is nice to have. I still use my Fiskars though.
I would like to know how much wood Mr. Cuddle back splits a year. I still could split two cord a year by
hand easily.

Reactions: blazincajun
Read a blog about a guy who leaves notes on folks wood piles just so he can split wood and avoid the costs associated with wellness memberships. Not everyone takes him up on that as you can imagine.

Whether you like him or not politically, I love that the Gipper was a fellow hand-splitter in his later years...he certainly didn't need to do it from an economic standpoint.

Ronald-Reagan-Rolex-Ranch-1983-1166x1600.jpg

I love splitting by hand - but I notice that because of that I'm far more selective about the trees I cut down for firewood.
True. You tend to pass up the hedge and mulberry. Red oak is the hand splitters dream.

I love splitting by hand - but I notice that because of that I'm far more selective about the trees I cut down for firewood.

Totally makes sense to me - I find myself tactically planning cuts for the rounds so that they are easier to split in addition to splitting bottom side up.

I find it's faster to split by hand. I think its easier on my body as well. using the splitter beats me up more. A hour or 2 a day in the winter splits alot of wood.

Reactions: gerry100
If the ethics of manual labor are not explored by those who do it I would wonder why? Sounds like the professor has come a long way from the archetypical suburb to homesteading on the Shenandoah river with his wife and six children. The center of their homesteading are acorn fed pigs. Sounds like this professor works really hard in addition to earning a living at a small private college.

One very well might feed pigs acorns in the fall but certainly it is only a very small part of the year. Nice thought though.

What an interesting discussion. My family has always done everything ourselves if at all possible. My dad can do absolutely anything. (not now though, he has alzheimers). We have never looked at the economics of doing anything. If it needed to be done, we did it. Just hate to part with money I guess.

One thing I can't do is cut very large trees down by myself. I cut the smaller ones all by myself and order cut but not split for $150 a cord. I then have been splitting with a Fiskar an hour or so a day. And then stacking it. Prior to retiring I worked and made $150 a day but it was heavy work. Splitting my own is more pleasant and not as hard actually. Also I need time to finish drywalling and the electrical and the plumbing and the landscaping and etc etc etc. I cannot do this working 10 hours days plus.

I don't like working outside my place much. Yet I love to work for myself and can go at it 18 hours a day if I need to.

Fun thread.

I find it's faster to split by hand. I think its easier on my body as well. using the splitter beats me up more. A hour or 2 a day in the winter splits alot of wood.

Sorry, you might split a few faster but not if the guy on the splitter had the same wood and knew how to maximize his effort. Yes, I've tried. Of course some splitters, like men, can work very slowly but that is not the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.