The evenings experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Well, I spent the night and built a makeshift wood fired oven based loosely on the 1 hour oven design on the Bread page. I used patio blocks for the whole thing, so it was only as wide as about 1 patio block (the 8x16 cement kind) topped with a pile of very flat rocks and dirt to seal the holes up.
4 bricks in front to sort of make a smaller door opening.
It's been burning now for about 3 hours and the whole mass is quite hot. I even have secondary burn going at this point... kinda cool. Being only 8" tall, it's kinda tight, so next iteration, I'll stand the blocks on their end and possibly angle them in a bit for a wider floor. once I get this down my brick collecting starts and I'll try a dome.

In about an hour I'll toss in a small pizza. Hopefully this is step one in my quest to build a wood fired oven. LOML thinks I've flipped. She thought that when I started looking at wood stoves too.

You haven't flipped until you rig her hair dryer up to it so you can play blacksmith.

Matt and trying to give ideas...

Hmmmmm..... That would be very cool!!

Cool..... we need pics!

I'll post pics of the next version. I took it apart this morning for a post mortem. Some of the pavers were still way to hot to touch this morning.
Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.