The Evolution of My Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Dweller

Jul 29, 2008
South Jersey Woods
It started last fall with a pile of lumber.

Attachments

• 100_2167.jpg
    100_2167.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,294
I picked out the right spot and got started. At this point, what a mess! 12 x 16 will be the size. Will hold about 8-10 cords, I think!

Attachments

• 100_2164.jpg
    100_2164.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,340
This is how it looked going into the winter. I only had about 4 cords to load in it last fall. Filled it about half way.

Attachments

• 100_2233.jpg
    100_2233.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,398
This spring I stained it to match the cabin and installed 7 foot wide concrete sidewaks around the house leading to the shed. Wide enough to drive the tractor to and from, I transport loads with the tractor bucket.

Attachments

• 100_3582.jpg
    100_3582.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,283
Ready for this years load. The bottoms of the side walls are all about 3-4 inches above grade for plenty of air flow. 4-5 inches of stone base. I also put up old metal fence posts on the sidewalls to keep the stacks from touching the walls. this gives me a continous air gap all the way around all the walls. Two big back windows also max out the air flow. You can't tell, but I have about an 18 inch overhang on the back.

Attachments

• 100_3589.jpg
    100_3589.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,277
The finished product. I wanted it to look like it's been around for a while so I tucked between a few trees and stained it to match the cabin. Now my sticks have a wonderful dry place to call home. Life is good!

Attachments

• 100_3585.jpg
    100_3585.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,277
Real nice.
Are you in the concrete business?
If not, you win with most $ spent on a wood shed project.
This is one of the nicest sheds (Top 3) on this entire site that I've seen; but the concrete work puts it over the top.
Great job.

I did everything myself. I did spend a few bucks, but I wanted a shed that wouldn't constantly need my attention. I built this like a mini pole barn but it will be solid for a long time. Plus, in the summer when theres no wood, I use it as a garden / tractor shed. I have a clearing on a slight hill that I use as a staging area for my wood until late fall. I was going to do concrete sidewalks anyhow, I just doubled the width to the shed to accomidate the tractor.

Nice "shed" too nice for just wood storage put some tables ,chairs and bar and it's a great party room just stack the wood next to it and throw a tarp over it.

Nice job, looks great.

Nice shed, but something seems to be missing?????????

Oh yeah! THE WOOD???

I finally just finished filling mine up about an hour ago. Already had more than enough wood, but it was still sitting in the splitting area, un-split.
I also used drainage rock like that in my shed area for the wood to sit on, sure beats using old pallets.

Will you be buying your wood or cutting it yourself?

Nice shed but it seems with all the humidity you get down there more ventilation or use of lattice might be helpful...but truthfully I dunno how wood seasons down there. Very nice shed though.

Very nice shed. One question - why use stone as the floor base vs. concrete (clearly you could have gone that route)? Not being critical, just curious.

Beautiful shed! Love the concrete work, that's icing on the proverbial cake!

nice work on the shed. it really ties in with the surroundings.

the dodgers stink! their fan base is pathetic! who shows up in the 3rd inning and leaves in the 8th? oh yeah and F kobe bryant!

bad night for philly sports last night, phils bullpen implodes and the flyers lose to the panthers.

Carbon_Liberator said:

Oh yeah! THE WOOD???

I finally just finished filling mine up about an hour ago. Already had more than enough wood, but it was still sitting in the splitting area, un-split.
I also used drainage rock like that in my shed area for the wood to sit on, sure beats using old pallets.

I have 6 cords up on the hill split and ready to load. I'll start loading in the next week or two. I cut and split my own wood.

savageactor7 said:
Nice shed but it seems with all the humidity you get down there more ventilation or use of lattice might be helpful...but truthfully I dunno how wood seasons down there. Very nice shed though.

Only the summers are humid and I only stock wood in the shed from late fall until spring. I have a staging area in a clearing up on a slight hill that is almost perfect for seasoning. I run multiple 60 foot long single stacks about 8 feet apart (so I can drive my tractor through) and the wood gets about 10 hours of direct sunlight in the summer. The wood bakes in the SJ heat and gets lots of air. I leave it there uncovered all summer until I move it into the shed in late october. I can stack green oak in the spring and it's perfect by late fall.

Got Wood said:
Very nice shed. One question - why use stone as the floor base vs. concrete (clearly you could have gone that route)? Not being critical, just curious.

Good question. Concrete would be nice for certain situations, but the shed sits on a natural slope and I wanted any running water to pass under the shed instead of through it. Concrete would block waters path and send it up and on to the shed floor since the walls are open at the bottom, or worse yet, under the concrete and weaken or hollow out the base foundation under the concrete and cause cracking or caving. The stone is at least 5-6 inches deep and stays 100% dry all winter because any storm water passes under the stone.

BucksCoBernie said:
nice work on the shed. it really ties in with the surroundings.

the dodgers stink! their fan base is pathetic! who shows up in the 3rd inning and leaves in the 8th? oh yeah and F kobe bryant!

bad night for philly sports last night, phils bullpen implodes and the flyers lose to the panthers.

Thanks! You are right. It was a tough sports night last night. I'll have a knot in my gut until Cliff Lee takes the Dodgers down tomorrow night. The Dodgers KNOW that they haven't "won" a game yet. We gave them one last night! It'll be a big game tomorrow night after the Eagles tune up the Raiders in the afternoon.

Woods Dweller said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

Oh yeah! THE WOOD???

I have 6 cords up on the hill split and ready to load. I'll start loading in the next week or two. I cut and split my own wood.

BTW: I stack my wood on 4x4's that sit on the stone, not directly on the stone. I could go right on the stone because it stays dry, but I do this to keep an air gap under the wood.

Nice job on the shed - I might tend to hang out there alot!. I don't know 'bout the Eagles though...

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
Nice job on the shed - I might tend to hang out there alot!. I don't know 'bout the Eagles though...

Thanks Hendrix fan. Don't be a hater, the Pats will get it together!

Woods Dweller said:
The wood bakes in the SJ heat and gets lots of air. I leave it there uncovered all summer until I move it into the shed in late october. I can stack green oak in the spring and it's perfect by late fall.

People think im nuts when i tell em that. Somethin about the spring and summer heat combined with the wind sure does dry the wood out quick round here.

And very nice job on the shed!

SmokinPiney said:
Woods Dweller said:
The wood bakes in the SJ heat and gets lots of air. I leave it there uncovered all summer until I move it into the shed in late october. I can stack green oak in the spring and it's perfect by late fall.

People think im nuts when i tell em that. Somethin about the spring and summer heat combined with the wind sure does dry the wood out quick round here.

And very nice job on the shed!

Thanks on the shed!
I hear a lot of guys on here say that you need to season for two years and I can't really relate. I'm sure if I split some oak and stack it in my shed or cover it up, then yeah, it would take a LONG time to season. But stacking it uncovered where it gets PLENTY of direct sun all summer sure works for me. Maybe it has something to do with the south jersey soil?? Might sound silly, but trees in this area have very shallow root systems that spread outward instead downward because there is a lack of moisture in the soil when you get away from the surface. Maybe trees in other areas that have deep rich soil retain more moisture to begin with. Just a thought, far fetched, but a thought just the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.