The Face Behind the Name

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
huffdawg said:
skfire said:
Kemer said:
Hey Scott
Looks like we have some stuff in comon.I live in Mountaintop Pa (NEPA) and I have an out door pizza/bread oven

I think we spoke once regarding the Garn and I have definitely spoke to your brother regarding ovens and his P&M.
Yup seems we do have a lot in common, I am up in Damascus 22 miles north of Honesdale.

Scott

Did you guys build your own ovens.

What is it about us Pyros? on my last farm I built a Wood Oven and I have plans to begin a bigger one on this farm.....but AFTER I finish my boiler project & about 5 other things currently going.....

skfire, That is so great that you had an oldtimer helping and showing you how to do it! There is so much that is being lost to the new fangled technology. My Grandfather who was born in 1905 told me stories about his dad splitting stones that were 2ft by 3ft. Anybody want to guess how? We have a barn built around the early 1900's that has a wooden pulley in it that is close to 6 ft in diameter, any guesses on that?

I have aerial photos of the one 80 acre farm (which has been in the family since 1868) from around 1950 and it is amazing how they kept the lane and fencerows cleaned up! And here I set on my computer rather then being out doing something productive! :lol:

Gary

Gary_602z said:
skfire, That is so great that you had an oldtimer helping and showing you how to do it! There is so much that is being lost to the new fangled technology. My Grandfather who was born in 1905 told me stories about his dad splitting stones that were 2ft by 3ft. Anybody want to guess how? We have a barn built around the early 1900's that has a wooden pulley in it that is close to 6 ft in diameter, any guesses on that?

I have aerial photos of the one 80 acre farm (which has been in the family since 1868) from around 1950 and it is amazing how they kept the lane and fencerows cleaned up! And here I set on my computer rather then being out doing something productive! :lol:

Gary

9 years ago, that old timer was running circles around me and the carpenters framing my post and beam home...he was throwing the three stacks up faster than we could frame and refused my help to hoist the clay flues(about 95lbs apiece) up on the scaffold..he said I would only slow him down and break one!! When I asked him why he had no apprentices, he said:"'cause nowdays no one wants to learn my way and they all think they know better by being on the job for a year..they do not like to be told how to do it right..they think they know better and they do not like working from 6 to 3."
He also said that compared to the masons that taught him in Montreal he was a butcher!

Today's technological world and attitudes are killing the all time trades!
We may live to regret it.

Scott

Gary
My brother and I are 5th generation Masons and are partners in business.I have been doing Masonry for over 43 years now.So even though I hate to admit it I guess I'm an old-timer.We used to drill wholes in a line and split stone with wedges.The pulley's might have been used to haul up bales af straw.Now like anything else you have to use new technology or you can't compete so a lot of the old techniques are being lost.A lot of our work is stuff these kids don't have a clue how to do yet we come in and make it look easy.

Kemmer,

From what my Grandad said they would build a large fire around the rock for a day or two and then douse it with water to crack it. The pulley was used on a lift system where they could back a hay wagon into the barn and lift the whole wagon with a team of horses up to the mow to pitch off the hay or straw.

Gary

That's another way of doing it but I don't go back that far LOL

Heres my bread oven, its an allen scott based oven. Built the whole thing myself this summer. took me all summer and its not finished but im proud of my first attempt at masonary.

In the spring im gonna put a nice peaked roof on it and finish the outside with cultured stone, then some landscaping.

Attachments

• DSCN2465.jpg
    DSCN2465.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN3587.jpg
    DSCN3587.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 292
I'm trying to post a pic of my Pizza/bread oven.Yea it worked.Those of you with sharp eyes may notice the book matched stone.My wife calls me mr.Symetrical

Attachments

• 009 resi.jpg
    009 resi.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 281
Kemer said:
I'm trying to post a pic of my Pizza/bread oven.Yea it worked.Those of you with sharp eyes may notice the book matched stone.My wife calls me mr.Symetrical

Kemer.....beautiful work,,we are not worthy, we are not worthy!!!
Have you baked in it yet?

Scott

phatfarmerbob said:
Heres my bread oven, its an allen scott based oven. Built the whole thing myself this summer. took me all summer and its not finished but im proud of my first attempt at masonary.

In the spring im gonna put a nice peaked roof on it and finish the outside with cultured stone, then some landscaping.

Looks great, CONRATS,
like u said, cover it...and with overhang,,,plenty of it., you won't regret it later..take it form me, I learned the hard way, demo'ing the first version was difficult...
Put plenty of benches and tables, people love to sit around the oven(believe me), it becomes the centerpiece of any company, especially when they are all waiting for the good stuff to come out!

Now we are cooking....a bit off "boiler thread" but still fire....and food

Happy New Year to All

Scott

Here's a pic of my other oven

Attachments

• resi.jpg
    resi.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.