The family gets into the act...8 year old wood scrounger...and a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Yesterday we went to Home Depot (I know, I know...) and they were having a reconditioned tool sale...so got a leaf blower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw for under $400. Yay.

On the way out of the driveway DH and I remarked to one another that the next door neighbors (elderly couple whose house is hidden from the road) had a couple of big storm damaged trees lying across their stone walls, never moved since the storms this Fall We agreed we'd write them a note and stick it in their mailbox, asking permission to take the wood (and split/stack some of it for them if they burn).

Fast forward to later in the afternoon, we're all out in the meadow, 8 year old DD is playing and DH and I are stacking wood...and the neighbor walks down to check her mail. Stops to chat with DD. Next thing we know DD has asked her permission to take those trees and she has agreed - as long as we are very careful and neat. I am LOL that 8 year old DD has become a wood scrounger! :)

And last a question - how do you clean up the sawdust/chips from cutting up a tree? Do you place a tarp underneath? Use a blower? These trees are no more than 4' off the ground, mostly horizontal and leaning on an old stone wall, so no worries about felling a standing or partly leaning tree...

Thanks all!

Mary

i guess you could use a blower,,,but i,d just rake them up with a lawn rake and a snow shovel

Yeah, get the bulk of the chips with a rake and blow the rest to distribute them. They will vanish in short order.
Has DD been able to ID the wood yet? :lol:

Good genes in that DD !!!

I wouldn't tarp, but give it a "broom sweep".

Nice score !

I hate internet abbreviations - what the hell is a DH and DD? Must be getting old (OLD). Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I hate internet abbreviations - what the hell is a DH and DD? Must be getting old (OLD). Cheers!

DD=Dear Daughter (DS=Dear Son)
DH=Dear (sometimes other D word!) Husband, DW=Dear (sometimes other D word, to be fair) Wife, SO=Significant Other.

:)

And no, she can't ID wood yet but I've a bunch of pics of her (and my) little scrounges that DH cut up today, for ID! So we're all learning together on that count...

A wife that enjoys burning AND C/S/S? You're a better find than a 5 acre wood lot! Your husband should count himself lucky :)

If the neighbor's lawn is a very neat or manicured lawn then a bagging mower is the best way to pick up all the sawdust. Anything but a lawn and I would just leave anything that is left behind from raking the twigs.

If i was doing this and trying to be neat I'd pick up the branches, rake the twigs, and not worry too much about sawdust unless, like I said, it was a high visibility manicured lawn.

I've cut a few trees for home owners. The sawdust stays where it falls. It won't hurt the lawn. Rake the chips and small branches into a pile. Burn if necessary but ask first.

Status
Not open for further replies.